Chapter 1

Agate Frost was a smart kid, top in every class, except for gym which he didn't believe to be a real curriculum. He was known throughout the neighborhood of Grixdale Detroit by all the grown folks. They would shout at him and tell him that he was going places and to stay studying. But only the grown folks encouraged him, the kids not so much. They would learn his route to school and jump him every Wednesday and Thursday. He tried to change his route, but when a stupid kid knows what they are after they become smart. Those kids thought being the smart kid in a city like Detroit was weird. With all the gun violence and the bad mayoral system, they never dreamed of getting out of a city like Detroit and they didn't think it was fair that someone like Agate had the brains to do so.

         Agate wasn't what kids called normal. His skin was of a dark copper, kinda like honey and his eyes the most peculiar part of him were a gold color that seemed to glow like glow sticks at a block party. Because of his eyes, most kids didn't even call him by his name, they would make fun of him and call him "Owl Eyes" and unfortunately the name stuck. His parents eyes were the complete opposite, they were a grayish brownish color kinda like how chocolate ice cream looks when it dries and leaves a stain. His eyes stood out in every family photo, and in every yearbook picture. He was tall and slim and mainly wore all black, with an occasional amethyst gold chain his mother got him for his birthday. He had no friends, he simply walked to the class through the white halls with the white teachers and did his work.

         Agate sat in his chair in English tapping his pen, waiting for the teacher to speak. The room was always too bright for him, so he would wear his hood to give his eyes a bit of shade. The teacher conducting the class was Mrs Relba. She was a small frail woman with short brown hair and dry pasty skin. Agate didn't like Mrs Relba, he never showed it but his annoyance with her was higher than the cross in his neighborhood church. She never really did anything, he practically taught himself in that class. She just sat in her red leather chair, giving kids mean looks and popping Mary Janes in her mouth.

        Agate raised his hand urgently for the bathroom, but Mrs Relba ignored him. He raised it again, snapping his fingers to get her attention. This time Mrs Relba purposefully shunned her head away from him.

         "Do you got a problem with me Mrs?"Agate spoke with a smart remark. "Cause if you do I'd like to sort it out." The class stared at him. Agate simply stared back.

         "I have not a problem with you." She exclaimed all prim and proper.
         "It's I don't have a problem with you, not whatever you said," Agate whispered.
         "I beg your pardon," Mrs. Relba said as if offended.

         "You used improper grammar, which is a surprise seeing as you are the English teacher."  The class went from staring and being judgemental to laughing and chanting.

         "OWL EYES, OWL EYES, OWL EYES!" They shouted rhythmically banging on their desks.

         " That's not my name," Agate exclaimed, but they continued going.

         "OWL EYES, OWL EYES, OWL EYES!"

         "SILENCE," Mrs Relba shouted slamming her hands on her desk. "Come here Owl Eyes." She pointed her finger at Agate and then to a spot next to her desk. Agate didn't move an inch "Alright, I'll come to you then." Her little body hopped out of her chair and walked over to Agate. She placed a pink slip on his desk and at the very top of the paper it read

DETENTION