Can't Stay Here

Chapter 90: China

Gus pressed the buzzer next to Mac's door, the bottle of wine clutched tightly in her hand. She had tried to duck his invitation to no avail. He swung it open, greeting her before heading back to the stove, pots steaming away.

"Where's Sheldon?" she asked, looking around.

"Out with an agent looking at places. I guess being roommates with your boss isn't the most ideal situation," Mac replied with a smirk.

Gus nodded, setting her belongings down and opening up the wine, pouring them each a glass, though Mac barely looked at his. Gus stood at the kitchen island, watching her uncle cook.

"I can help," she said, feeling useless.

Mac gave her a smile, "I know you can, you can also rest."

He took in his niece's appearance, she was drawn, dark circles under her eyes and her skin paler than he had ever seen it. The weight of the world pressing down on her slightly stooped shoulders and she looked lost.

"Not being able to work the Steele case was a rest, thank you very much for that by the way," Gus snipped, though she instantly regretted it. Instead of apologizing, she drained her glass of wine and poured another glass, ignoring the judgmental look from Mac.

"It wasn't just my call, Augusta," he replied with a warning tone, "Doyle and your Lieutenant didn't want you to work the case either."

"I'm banned from doing my job because the overprotective men in my life think I might break?" Gus slammed the wine bottle back down on the counter.

"You are not banned from your job and no one is being overprotective or saying you are going to break. Lieutenant Doyle simply suggested that distance from this case might be better for you in the long run."

"Lieutenant Doyle should mind his own damn business and his own team!" Gus snarled.

Mac turned the burner off underneath the pot he was stirring, dinner would have to wait. "He is worried about you, a sentimental that I and many other people share. You haven't been yourself in months, don't try to deny it. When was the last time you went out with Lindsay and Stella? Or returned Adam or Sheldon's calls? What about Reed? He asked me if you had moved to China the last time I saw him. Not to mention this business with Flack..." Mac trailed off, as Gus' head snapped up, her eyes full of fire.

"What are you talking about Mac?" she said, her voice on edge.

Mac sighed, "Parker told me you've covered for him, following him to make sure he doesn't get in trouble."

"That was Parker's idea in the first place," Gus deflected throwing her hands up.

Mac came out from behind the island, facing off with his niece. "How long has all this been going on, Augusta?" Mac's mouth set in a straight line.

Gus felt like a teenage getting caught sneaking out, she looked down at her feet while answering, "I don't know, a little bit."

She could feel Mac staring at her, the intensity causing her to finally make eye contact. "Months," she finally admitted, her eyes filling with tears.

"You aren't doing him any good, Gussie, Don has to deal with his own demons."

"Turn my back on him? I can't do that, Mac, I love him!" Gus implored.

Mac shook his head and sighed, "I know you do, but if you really love him, you have to understand you aren't saving him and you are hurting yourself. You are lying to your commanding officer, you are putting yourself in danger, you are digging yourself into a hole so deep, I am not sure you can even climb out of it."