Selfish

selfish • gn!reader
Din, who's helplessly in love with you, is forced to watch you and your partner until he's forced to come to terms with his feelings.

—§—

Din knows that a sudden gasp of surprise from you can mean two different things—and he doesn't like either of them. When he turns around and sees you staring out the open hatch of the Crest, he realizes it's the worst of both options. Your partner is standing at the end of the ramp, smiling in a way that hardens Din's jaw before he can stop it.

You run down to meet them, throwing your arms around them with a bubbling laugh. "What're you doing here?" you ask them, pulling away to hold their face between your hands. Din resists the urge to touch the cheek of his own helmet.

"I got some time off," they respond, shining that ominous grin at you before they kiss you. Din looks away and decides to take the pulse rifle he had already hung up on the wall of the Crest. He straps it over his shoulder and strides down the ramp to meet the two of you. Thankfully, you've since separated. Your smile remains as you face Din.

"Mando, this is my partner, Descar," you introduce Din, gesturing to the human whose gaze doesn't glow favorably in Din's direction. "Des, this is my... business partner, Mando." You chuckle at your obvious differentiation.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mando," Descar says. They hold a hand out towards Din to shake. He shakes his helmet and keeps the rest of his body still.

"I don't do that." Din's modulated voice is firm as he gestures with his helmet towards Descar's open hand.

"You don't greet people civilly?" The words from Descar are almost a scoff. Din takes a deep breath to compose himself.

"Mando doesn't trust people easily," you clarify. "You'll earn it by the end of this visit." You look back at Din with pleading eyes he can never resist. "Will you sit with us while we get some drinks?"

Din sighs to himself. He knows what he's signing himself up for, but he'll be damned if he refuses you. "Sure."

You smile wide enough to make whatever comes next more than worth it to Din. The fluttering in his armored chest is short-lived when he watches you take your partner's hand. "Let's head to the cantina," you direct. "Hopefully Karga will let us have one hour of peace before going on the next job."

Din chuckles—much to the dismay of Descar, who gives him a subtle glare before they place their hand on the small of your back and urge you to start walking ahead. The Mandalorian wills all the strength of his ancestors to keep himself calm for your sake as he trails just behind the two of you.

As Din watches the two of you walk in front of him, he tries not to think of the uncertainty he's seen in your eyes the times you've told him about Descar. It's an uncertainty he's never caught you showing whenever you and Din have been close, either in proximity or in relation. Din has often gotten the urge to ask about it, but he knows it's not his place. If you're happy with Descar, then Din can be happy for you, too.

Even if he has to see Descar's hand move lower and lower upon your back with each stride you take.

Din looks to the side, forcing himself to observe the usual hustle-and-bustle of Nevarro's bazaar. The people he passes look upon him for only a moment before averting their gaze with evident fear. Din doesn't understand why your partner refuses to do the same. If Descar could see Din make an example of someone else, perhaps...

The Mandalorian gives his helmet a shake. He flexes a gloved hand over his holster to resist the sudden and strange urge to reach for his blaster. You don't owe Din anything, and if you would rather be with this person, then his own feelings can be set aside.