01: THE FRAGILITY OF THE TEENAGE EGO

Quinn Jiang had told herself countless times she wouldn't allow herself to fall into this position again. Though Quinn Jiang had a habit of lying to herself.

Her brown eyes tinged with exhaustion as she stared at her homework, trying to answer the problem on her paper. Chemistry was quite possibly the worst class she had ever taken in her high school career. So why she had chosen to take AP Chemistry this year was beyond her. She was beginning to think science just wasn't her thing.

She was up until two am, or maybe one it was a little blurry, with intentions of working on her Economics project that was due in two weeks. But after opening the document she had gotten distracted by YouTube and fell asleep watching it. It wasn't until approximately twenty minutes ago she remembered her chemistry homework laid unattempted in her bookbag.

So she was forced to skip her face routine and throw on the first set of clothing she found so that she would have time to do her work at the last minute.

Only one question left and five minutes until she had to be out of the door. She could do this.

Which one of the following pairs of samples has the higher entropy?
a. Br2(l) or Br2(g)b. C2H6(g) or C3H8(g)c. MgO(s) or NaCl(s)d. KOH(s) or KOH(aq)

Shit.

Quinn let out a scream of frustration as her mother came down the steps in her work suit.

"Oh," Was all her mother said. Quinn screaming at her homework was no new occurrence.

The sound of her mother's heels clicking on their hardwood floors as she walked to the fridge overtook the sound of the small tv seated on the kitchen counter as the news reported a kidnapping. "Mom, God himself isn't strong enough to make me understand this."

Her mother's head poked out from behind the fridge door. "Quinn, don't speak about the lord like that. And I told you not to overload yourself this year but you said you could handle it."

"Junior year is meant to be your hardest." Her mother let out a small laugh. "According to who?"

"Mom, please I'm trying not to have a breakdown right now."

"Don't you need to leave in four minutes?"

"You're really not helping." Her mother closed the fridge door, an energy drink in her hand and her purse in the other. The sound of clicking returned as her mother walked over to Quinn seated at the kitchen table. She placed a hand behind her daughter and looked at the paper.

"Yeah, I can't help you. Just take a guess. You still don't have your shoes on and everything that should be in your bookbag is currently sprawled around my kitchen." Quinn's school computer chemistry notebook, and binder all lay across the table.