3. Never

The rest of the day for the Madrigals was gloomy, almost everyone of them contemplating their existance and actions in the past.
Alma announced that the Madrigals will be taking a break for that day, and rain, almost a thunderstorm, surrounded the Encanto.

The Encanto people wanted to complain but the Madrigals were taking a break, not wanting to be rude they decided to speak to Abuela later.

...

Meanwhile Mirabel looked at the prices for a room and contemplated, Since she was 'atleast' part of the Madrigal's, things that need to be bought have discounts (but she heard how most family members dont even need to pay)... While she indeed brought money with her, by the price of the cheapest single room of the inn, it would only last for a month, she would also have to worry about food, her mama's food need to be treasured.

The inn lady, Catalina noticed the girl's bags, and from her experience of working from the last 6 years, the girl her annoying hermanito brought in as a customer, is a run away.

At least a prepared one this time.

Seeing Mirabel still thinking and looking at the prices, Catalina sighed and cleared her throat, getting the attention of Mirabel.

"Oh Sorry am I taking too long?"

"Not really... I heard from my mother of what my siblings did so as an apology--" Catalina noticed her mother looking at her with raised brow, she shrugs, "... Were offering discount for 3 days."

Hearing that, Mirabel visibly glowed, while 3 days isnt much, in the long run saving some bits of money helps.
"Really? I mean I really don't mind since they were just playing... But ill be taking your offer then!."

Catalina a bit thrown off by Mirabel's enthusiasm thought back to the time where one, like Mirabel(a run away) begged to stay for free, while one had some stubborn pride and refused discounts... She nodded at Mirabel asking how long she'll stay, receiving payment, and handing the key.

"She got the cheapest huh."

"Yep."

"Mm, I'll start cooking then."
.
.
.

Mirabel used the key to open her temporary room, inside is not really much, a bed, some candles, a small 2 stack drawer and a chair.
A 200 pesos per night room indeed.

She paid the amount enough for a week, and started sorting out her things, Mirabel taking out her notebook to budget her money, and to write her plans.

"So... Found a town, check, a temporary place to sleep, check, are the locals decent? So far yes... Mm, now I need to find a way to earn money and observe if this is a good environment to stay and start new."

Closing her notebook, Mirabel heard a knock, she slightly opened the door and saw someone, around her age maybe, and she was holding a bucket of water and a towel.

"Do you need to freshen up miss?"

"Ah yes, thank you."

Mirabel opened the door fully and let the girl step inside, setting down the bucket and towel the girl looked at Mirabel with a smile reminding her of Dolores's service smile.

"The dinner for tonight is on the house, it'll be on the lobby 6:55 pm, if Miss will be late past 8 pm it will no longer be available for free, enjoy your stay."

The girl then went out of the room, Mirabel feeling a bit weird but also novel, everything was a new experience and while she know she must not be careless she couldn't help but want to jump around.

Mirabel wonders while she wipes herself if this place was looking for workers and if she is fitting to work this job.

....

Infront of a mirror, Isabella looked at herself, eyes swollen as she spent a lot of time crying last night thinking about everything, looking away she pick up a hairbrush.

After brushing her hair, Isabella was about to wear her perfect pink dress before pausing and throwing it back to the closet.

"Sigh..."

Everything inside her closet was dresses, chosen by abuela as it fit perfectly for the perfect Isabella.

"Mm..."
As the oldest of the new generation, Isabella felt a pressure of expectations, she had to live up to them for her family, everything for her family.

She saw how free her hermanitas, prima, and primo's are, Isabella found the pressure lighter, she's fine, she can handle it.
But having to keep your smile at people who always had their eye on you, searching dirt so they could talk about you.

Not being able to do what she want as it doesn't fit "perfect" Isabella, having to grow flowers and flowers and FLOWERS only, acting a relationship with someone she doesn't like as it's good for the family, have to keep it all in as anything out of perfect will taint the family-- its... Its very suffocating.

Isabella had to keep it all in, she had too, as her,  herself is nowhere near perfect... Then seeing Mirabel and Camilo so free... Isabella can't help but resent them a little bit.

Mirabel in particular doesn't have a gift, it broke her heart when Mirabel looking so confused and crying infront of the whole Encanto as she was not given a gift, to make her family proud and to help the community.

But seeing them not pressured, not having to keep it in, how they could get away being so messy and out of control infront of abuela-- its frustrating, so frustrating she couldn't stop her mouth from saying harsh words to her youngest hermana.

Yeah, unlike her Mirabel didn't have a gift, she didn't have anything to help her against the outside world, as the oldest she  knows that...

Isabella snapped out from her daze and continued digging in her closet, as she was about to stop she noticed a wrapped gift, the embroidery quickly reminded her of Mirabel, it was a gift for her 19th birthday... If she remembers right, she was so swarmed by gifts that mirabel gave it to her as she was about to sleep, she was too busy so she put it in the closet and... Forgot.

Feeling guilt, Isabella carefully opened the gift, she bit her lip trying to hold tears seeing a dress, she knew of Mirabel sewing, she knew Mirabel sew all of own clothes, Mirabel was 13 at the time she made this...

The dress was not her usual style but it fit nonetheless even if it was 3 years ago, did mirabel intentionally made it like that? Did Mirabel knew her oldest hermana would be late at opening her gift for her?

Isabella wiped her tears and was about to arrange back the mess she made when she saw a note inside the gift box.

Hi sis, sorry for giving this when you're about to sleep, I just couldn't find the time to give you this, you could also use a little change in your wardrobe.
    Happy birthday- Mirabel.
.
.
.

When Isabella was late for breakfast and was wearing a different dress than usual with swollen eyes like them, no one talked about it, already have a gist on why...

While Alma was about to scold Isabella but didn't have the energy to do so, her thoughts in a mess.

....

As Mirabel chomp on the free food, she was delighted that the taste was ok even if its free.

"Here's some water..." The same girl who given her the water bucket earlier gave a glass of water.

"Thank you."

'Such a really cool place.'

"Ah, I have a question."

The girl turned around,  "yes?"

"Are you guys hiring?"