20

"I'd like to sing to you." My voice is unshaken as I approach Taehyung's table where he sits with the other idols. They're all dressed in designer clothes. Next to us in our plain uniforms, they look more like demigods than humans.

V is particularly stunning. His shirt is a flowing leopard print. He looks like a statue in the best possible way.

I'm intimidated, but I don't show it. Jungkook and I are definitely attracting stares. But we must be the only pair who received the message in the golden box. No one seems to be approaching V to audition for him.

"Come with me," V says, leaving a piece of tiramisu cake on the table.

Jungkook and I follow V out into the corridor, and we head into the elevator to descend to the floor below us. V is humming along the way, his baritone voice as magical as his visuals. I've heard his voice play on the radio before. His ballads are soft and as emotional as they come. But if he won League of Fame last year, I wonder what lengths he went through to achieve his fame. For his songs to be played on the radio. He must've had to sacrifice his innocence. But it certainly doesn't look that way now. He appears relaxed and confident in himself. Perhaps he had time to heal or at least develop the ability to hide the scars.

V leads us to a room with a recording booth, dark oak walls with a silver mixing console being the highlight of the room. V gestures for me to enter the booth.

I go inside, and V sits down next to the mixer. Jungkook stands behind him, touching his throat. Maybe he's humming as well, warming up his voice to impress the judge that will decide our fates.

I don't delay. I start on the first note. The song is a classic—my parents say it was their wedding song. I channel their love as I sing.

Wise men say only fools rush in

But I can't help—

V holds up a hand. His voice enters the booth through the speakers behind me. He's disappointed, I can tell. His eyes squint in scrutiny, looking at me like I personally offended him.

"Sorry," he says. "I don't like your voice. Your partner can sing for me now."

I would be offended, but I know my voice is far from pleasant. I curse under my breath and exit the booth. Jungkook gives me a small smile as he enters in place of me. By the way he stands in the booth—next to the hanging microphone—you might think he's a professional. After all, this is what he was trained to do. He wants to be a pop star. I'm sure singing comes as naturally to him as walking.

"Begin," V says, his eyes intent on my partner.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting Jungkook to sing the same song.

Wise men say only fools rush in

But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay? Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you?

I'm blown away. Jungkook's voice is breathy, full of feeling. I sense so many emotions in the lyrics, longing, pain, and heartbreak. But I also sense hope and vitality. Jungkook's voice is healing and magic. Why hasn't he sung for me before?

Jungkook breathes in, opening his mouth to continue.

V holds up his hand, his eyes watching Jungkook carefully. "Stop." He traces the edge of the audio mixer, seeming lost in thought. "What's your name?"

"Jungkook," my partner answers. It's only now that I sense the slight tremor in his voice. He's nervous to sing in front of V, one of the best known vocalists in Seoul. He also knows how much is resting in the success of his performance.

"I love your voice," V says, steepling his hands below his chin. "I would give you my ring immediately...."

I see his ring, circling his right ring finger. I could reach out and grab it right now. But something tells me I'll be kicked in the chest again. Jimin's partner is most likely hiding the same ability to knock me away with a single blow.

"But it's just too early," V says. "There are so many more voices I want to hear. So I am delaying giving you the ring. Come to me again on the last Sunday before League of Fame ends. If you sing for me as well as you did today, you'll get my friendship ring."

Jungkook's scowl can be seen from a mile away. I'm sure my expression is the same. If he won't fight against this crazy act of injustice, I guess I'll have to.

"V..." I control my anger, but I know it can be sensed through my pinched syllables. "You told us in the clue that if we impress you, you'll give us the ring. You didn't say anything about hearing as many voices as you can."

"Well, I'm changing the rules." V plays with his ring, turning it around on his finger. It's sterling silver, engraved with words too small for me to read. "The second week of the competition and the first item already given away? I don't think that's fun at all. Like I said, come back and sing for me in the final week."

I sense a little bit of Mr. Fame in him. Maybe he's rubbed off on the winners and the idols also developed the need to be entertained.

I block V's way as he tries to exit. "V, think about this again. You said you love Jungkook's voice. There's no one with a golden voice like his."

"I did love his voice," V says. He pushes me away with one hand, channeling a surprising amount of strength. I almost fall down. "But like I said, it's too early. If you two survive, come back. I'd love to hear a different song from Jungkook. And you... can stay in the back and cheer."

I would be offended, but I'm too busy being overcome with fury.

"What the hell," I say.

Jungkook stands beside me. He releases a heavy sigh. "What the hell is right."

A/N: Thank you for reading!