26

"They gave me some strong antibiotics," Jungkook says. "And a fancy pill to stop the bleeding and speed up the healing process. They also stitched up the wound. I'm as good as new."

I eye Jungkook as we sit around an empty table in the banquet hall. He's still pale, but he does look better. And his appetite has returned. We've finished the main course—truffle pizza and pasta—and are working on chocolate mousse cake for our dessert.

"You think you'll be good to go by midnight?" I ask. When he nods, I feel relief flood into my body. "Scientists were smart enough to design the shield. I'm glad they progressed in medicine too. Or else you might be dying instead."

"You did a good job," Jungkook says. "Taking care of me for a week. I've never felt more useless."

I smile. "You can make it up for me this week. Let's find a clue as quickly as possible."

Jungkook smiles back. "Yeah, Cosma. We're going to win. I haven't forgotten or given up."

"I thought you did," I say. "Taking care of you, I felt like I had a sick baby."

Jungkook scowls, and for a second he looks like the boy at the outskirts. Challenging the whole world with his hard gaze. "Not funny."

I smile, setting down the fork next to my clean plate. "I think I'm full. We should set off a bit early?"

"I think that's a good idea," Jungkook says. "I might regret saying this, but I'm glad that alliance is gone. I wonder how they died."

I wonder if Jungkook can read my face. I just shake my head, and I say the truth that scares me. "I'm glad they're gone too."

Jungkook and I are about to leave the table. But Mr. Fame walks in with his bodyguards. The whole room hushes. I wonder how aware he is of the power he has. I'm guessing that he's fully aware.

"It's the middle of League of Fame," Mr. Fame says. In the banquet hall, the room looks very empty, with less than thirty people filling up a room that once hosted over a hundred. The fullest table in the room is the one with six idols. Even they are trained to quiet themselves when Mr. Fame speaks. "You may not know this, but every year in the games I introduce a twist at the halfway point. It makes things more interesting, and challenging as well."

I feel Jungkook's eyes on me, almost like they have a physical weight to them.

"I've been... displeased with the slowness of these games," Mr. Fame says. "It's been four weeks, and not one item has been stolen. Therefore, the twist that I am introducing is twofold. First, the games will only continue for one more week, ending on Saturday. Second, the games will be limited to the Gangnam district. Clues will only appear in this district, and you will be shot if you cross the border to another part of Seoul. This combination will ensure that everyone is more desperate to win the challenges for the items."

The room is completely silent. Then, like a dam breaking, complaints rise up to flood the scene.

"That isn't fair!"

"Our team was doing just fine!"

"Slowness? More than seventy people were killed!"

Mr. Fame raises a palm. His voice is resounding. "Enough! I've made the decision, and none of you will change my mind. The other rules remain unchanged. The games resume at midnight. If you do not own an item by Saturday, 11:59 pm, you will be shot by my team."

Mr. Fame leaves with his bodyguards, leaving chaos on the scene. People are screaming, arguing, throwing dishes. I wouldn't be surprised if some alliances were broken right now. Six items are available, but since there is only a week left, some of the bigger alliances might crumble. I imagine this week will be the worst in terms of bloodshed. Gangnam district may be large, but teams will definitely run into each other on a constant basis.

Jungkook and I don't panic. It seems that we both have the same idea. We get up together and walk toward the table with the idols. Taehyung is expecting us, smiling when we approach.

"Finally I get to hear the boy sing," he says. "Jungkook, right?"

V excuses himself from the table, and as chaos explodes behind us we head down the elevator, across the same floor, into the recording studio.

"I hope you've prepared a different song, Jungkook," V says. "I like to know a League of Fame winner could be diverse."

Jungkook stares through the glass of the booth. I've never seen him more determined. He doesn't just look ready to sing. He looks ready to burn the whole building down.

When he sings, my heart seems to expand hearing the emotion, the tenderness and the intensity.

I'm in my bed

And you're not here

And there's no one to blame

But the drink in my wandering hands

Forget what I said

It's not what I meant

And I can't take it back

I can't unpack the baggage you left

What am I now? What am I now?

What if I'm someone I don't want around?

I'm falling again, I'm falling again, I'm falling

What if I'm down?

What if I'm out?

What if I'm someone you won't talk about?

I'm falling again, I'm falling again, I'm falling

I recognize the song. Harry Styles. My dad would play his music from the radio in the mornings. Jungkook transforms the song, making it completely his own. When Jungkook's voice almost breaks at the high points, Taheyung lifts his chin, breathing in and closing his eyes.

And I know we've won half the battle.

Jungkook exits the studio. I watch the happenings like I'm watching a movie. It doesn't feel real. Our four weeks of survival leading up to this. Like a castle we were building brick by brick.

Taehyung takes off his friendship ring and places it in Jungkook's hand.

A/N: Thanks for reading!