Chapter 1

{He kept her as a secret, but she kept him as an oath}

"I am the clumsy human, always loving, loving and loving

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"I am the clumsy human,
always loving, loving and loving.
And never leaving"
-Frida Kahlo

༻❁༺

Upon each side of the cobbled footpath lay slumbering crowds of spring flowers. A mosaic of cobblestones placed by loving hands of centuries gone by. Upon them, she watched him pace in distress, the soles of his black leather boots thudding loudly around the deserted garden, sounding overly loud in her own ears.

The wind was ever so gentle, it lifted her hair into a confluence of dancing tethers. In the trees, it was a gusting chorus, a song so confidently sung. It was a lovely day, at the start of it she was joyful, her happiness molded by ignorance and bliss. She had picked out daises and arranged them into shapes on the grass, she swayed in the soft glow of the sun, and she giggled among a flutter of butterflies.

At dusk, he came to her with news of misfortune. Tears prickled her hazel orbs, her body shivered in a surge of anxiety and dread. The blades of grass beneath her felt cold to the touch as dew began to coat every layer in a wet sheen. She could not remember how she ended up on the ground nor could she bring herself to care about the green stains of grass on her peach dress.

The words of her lover echoed in the drums of her ears, the dreadful news he had informed her of were enough to stifle her breaths. Enough to suffocate her into an endless chasm of woe.

It was an unbearable feeling; the broken look in his eyes, the helplessness in his voice. She could do nothing more but sob and let her heart bleed out on the cold wet grass.

But dusk faded in so slowly that Sebastian failed to notice until the path ahead of him disappeared into the darkness. It took him a gentle stumble to rouse him from his carousel of concerns and take in the lack of color around him. The soft sobs of his lover against the ground softened his features and brought out fresh tears of his own.

"I'm so sorry, my love" He crouched to place her into his arms. His heart weighed heavily down on his ribs, the blood that gushed from it tainted with grief. "This was not meant to happen" He whispered to himself, "None of it makes sense. W-why now?"

Ruth hiccuped out a gentle sob, "Please, Seb there must be something you could do to stop this madness" Her hands tiredly grasped his royal frock coat in a hopeless plea, their eyes failing to meet through the haze of tears and darkness.

Her illusions were finally destroyed by the bitterest of truths, as if a dagger had impaled her chest, it ached and throbbed with wretched pain.

"Ruth, I've tried" His voice strained, his lips quivering. "Believe me, I have tried everything I could" He grabbed hold of her hands so gently he was afraid they might break "No one would listen to me" He voiced "My father, h-he had already set in stone everything without my knowledge"