4 || audrey

I sat stiffly in my desk chair, listening to Ashton as he sighed into his phone on the other end.

"My car's dead, babe. You know I'd come pick you up if I could." He said sweetly. I stayed silent. I used up the space of silent time by slowly running up and down the sleek side of my desk.

I sighed, "So is mine and you know that." I told him, which he already knew.

"Call a friend." He suggested. I could practically see him shrugging his shoulders, sitting one the blue couch that sat awkwardly to one side of his living room. Ashton lived with a close friend of his and I let the misplaced couch be since I'm sure they didn't care about it.

"How could I get back home?" I asked, lowering my voice as I looked around my room. The last thing I wanted was for my parents to catch me sneaking out to see a boy who graduated high school last year and it taking a gap year. Which kind of turns into the idea that he probably won't head off to a university.

"Cal can give you a ride, I'm sure of it." He told me. Calum has given me a ride home only once before and we know each other well enough that I'm sure he'll do it again. Even in the late hours of the night.

"I mean I can't stay there all night." I sighed. "When will he be home?" I questioned. Ashton fumbled around on the other line, pausing for a second before going back to my question.

"In a few hours. Before 7am." He answered.

I nodded once, "Okay."

"Just tell me when you're on your way," he said. I was able to hear him smiling through the words. The same lazily and beautiful smile I've grown to love. "And please be safe." He added.

"Okay." I repeated.

Our relationship was weird. I knew of him last year since he went to my school, he didn't have any sort of reputation besides the fact that he could master any sport, instrument, or really anything thrown at him. He was an average student, had a lot of opinions, and never exactly had the right people supporting him. He made it on his own and that's one hell of an accomplishment.

We weren't in love, at least I wasn't. He got out of a toxic relationship, one just like my parents, just a few months ago and he was still moving on from that. Not the actual girl, but more of the side affects from it. I'd never been in love and he had and he's told me something along the lines of 'I know what it feels like and it's starting to get there with you.'

I remember when we first truly became friends. I knew his face. Who could forget it? My friend had a party at her house and the amount of people started overflowing her backyard. I went inside for a soda and I literally bumped into Ashton who had a red cup in his hand. We did the whole awkward apology thing, then by the end of the conversation he took my can of soda and handed me his red cup full of bland tasting beer. That's also the story of the first and only time I've gotten drunk.

It was innocent really, that day. As it was for the rest of our friendship until a little while ago. I was at his house with a few friends and we were both sort of flirting with each other then one thing led to another and I was on his couch kissing him like there was no tomorrow. We took it from there, now we're at a 'I have no idea what we are but I like it' stage.

Now, I was stuck with a problem: how I was supposed to go down and see him. I called most of my friends and they were all asleep or wouldn't risk picking me up. There was really only one idea left I had, and it came to me while I was looking through the crack of my curtains to the window next door.

I groaned, getting up from my bed and heading towards my window. I yanked the curtains open and peered down at the light we had on below me that was probably the source for our high electricity bills. I unlocked my window and pushed it open extra careful.