5 || luke

Audrey is not too typical. I've seen her carry books about paranormal activity and infamous serial killers around school. What a strange interest. She is constantly in and out of her house. Maybe she's busy. Maybe she's catching ghosts.

I arrived safely to my house. It was 2am. I was beat. Why did I ever decide to do anything for Audrey? Oh right, because I'm too awkward to say no and don't want to inconvenience people even if it massively inconveniences me. 

I snuck back into my house through my front door and quietly made my way upstairs. The floors creaked underneath me and I slowly, but surely, made my way back into my room.

I texted Michael to see if he was up. He almost always was because I don't think that guy ever sleeps. 

I sent Michael a lengthy paragraph of what just happened. He didn't really care. He just thought Ashton and Audrey were a weird pair. He said he was older and out of her league. Ashton drives a cool car and I think that's the only thing that puts him above anybody. Not actually, but you know what I mean. 

Ashton seems like a douche. Oh, I'm so cool, I drive a cool car and wear cool shoes and have cool wavy beach hair. Bleh. What a tool. He probably works out 3 times a day. He probably just likes Audrey because she's emotionally damaged and doesn't understand how real love or emotions work. 

I shook my head, I don't know that stuff. Who am I to judge who Ashton or Audrey appear to be? Audrey seems a little easier to be around than Ashton. Anyways. 

My back ached as I laid in bed. I stared up at my beige ceiling, blinking at the nothingness. So many thoughts were racing through my head. Like why could I still smell Audrey? Why did her hair smell like flowers, but also mint? Why does she wear t-shirts 3 sizes too big? Why is she dating Ashton? Why is any of this my business? Why do I care?

I angrily rolled over to my side. I blew a piece of my hair off of my face. Why did I risk my life to take Audrey to her boyfriend's house? If my parents caught me, I would be dead. Literally. I would have no head. It would probably be mounted on the wall in my living room. 

I shut my eyes. Rest was so much needed. This has been such a strange night that I never want to relive again.

-

I woke up to my mom coming into my room and opening the curtains.

"It's noon, Luke. You need to get up." She groaned. "And stop having late nights. I can hear you walking around the house in the middle of the night." She complained, leaving my door wide open behind her.

I stared up at my ceiling. I wanted to scream. Just a fiery wrath of teen angst. I took a breather and sat up.

"Who just leaves the door open?" I whispered to myself, closing it slowly. I headed back over to my window with the curtains now wide open. I reached to close them, but stopped when I saw Audrey in her room with hers open as well.

She was fighting with her mom. Her mom was angrily pointing fingers at her and shaking a cell phone in her daughters face. I could feel my face drop, it was weird seeing such a personal part of Audrey's life. 

Her mom slammed her door and Audrey plopped down at her desk with her head in her hands. 

I could sense that she was in pain, but I couldn't feel it. It was a terrible feeling. I tried to shake it off and I reached for my curtains to slide them closed. I peaked back down at Audrey and she was blankly staring through her window.

She looked intensely, like there was something to decode on the side of my house. A riddle, a puzzle, something. I even took a gander myself. But nothing.

I closed them anyways and turned around to face my disorganized room. 

I bet Audrey didn't make it back home in time last night and she got caught. Was that my fault? 

I pondered on the thought as I paced around my room. Of course it wasn't. All she asked was for me to take her there, not pick her up. I just took her from A to B, no B to A promises there. 

School would be the next time I saw her in person, face to face. We don't have any classes together, but Michael said he had history with her. Monday would be the day I saw her and could just...talk to her. Like a normal person. But I guess I don't really know how to be that in the first place.

-

To: Mike

Sent: 9:49am

Is Audrey in class today?

I patiently awaited his message. I wasn't trying to be creepy, but I guess I just wanted to befriend her. I don't know what the heck I was doing. I was just...interested in knowing Audrey a little better now. She is my next door neighbor, after all. All I really know about her is that she fights with her parents, she likes weird paranormal stuff, and doesn't have a car. 

From: Mike

Received: 9:50am

Nope xx

I sighed. I never paid attention to her attendance. Is this weird or normal for her? I don't know. Me and Audrey aren't even in the same realm. She's smart and steers away from every social norm and isn't afraid to ask near strangers for rides to her boyfriend's house. And I'm just...me. Maybe I can learn a little from her someday.

Wait, what am talking about? Audrey is friends with Kennedy Cook. Audrey always has her nose up in the air and she annoys the shit out of me. She brought home and arm full of books home during summer. Why would she do that? Why wouldn't she bring an arm full of beer home and throw a rager during the summer? Whatever. Girls are stupid. 

I couldn't bare to listen during my second period class. I hated school and it was only the first week. It was my last year, I just wanted to get the hell out of here. Stupid Ashton and that weird Calum kid living together and graduated from high school. Dicks. I'm so jealous. But I also hate them.

I didn't like anyone in this science class and I was lucky enough to have a teacher who didn't care. Oh, and I have no one sitting next to me so I can utilize so much lab table space and use the outlet. Hell yeah, go public education. 

I was eager to get home and find Audrey sitting at her desk reading some book about some weird psych wards that were super popular, but also super controversial 50 years ago. What a strange girl. But I was itching to have another conversation with her. 

-

Luke is so weird  i hate him ofdihgeourhgeoarufnskDM

also, i kept typing Andy and not audrey....go read outlines

AN UPDATE !!!! i love this story I'm sorry

i love you guys thank u so so much for reading!! 

comment "pickle" if u read this far :-)