Prologue: It was Never a Choice

A/N: Quick and important REMINDER! This story is the sequel to "Thousand Bittersweet Endings". But since that's not yet complete, you don't have to read it in order to understand this one.
Still, there's SPOILERS for that story in this chapter. Basically, this is human Mikael deciding to go to TVDU to help out the cannon version of the Mikaelsons after he meet them in his own universe (cause they were reborn there)

***

When the Hollow attacked his universe, the most human Mikael had to make a choice:

Either he pushed the supernatural versions of his children into a magical abyss, hoping it would send them back to their universe and leave him with the authentic versions of his children...

Or Mikael could jump into the abyss, swearing to both defeat the Hollow and make sure the Mikaelsons in the TVDU Cannon had a much better life.

All who ever met him would say his decision was as obvious as the morning sun.

"I never had a choice, anyway." The human, Mikael said, stepping forward and smiling at his children.

So Mikael jumped into the abyss. The Hollow followed him, leaving the Mikaelsons alone, waiting desperately for the kindest version of their mad father to save them.

And what else could he do? No matter what universe Mikael was in, his children would not be unhappy for as long as he lived. He would make sure of it.

The abyss was more gentle to him than Mikael expected. It took him away with little ceremony. With his body beaten and hurt, Mikael jumped, biting his tongue and praying the pain of being thrown into an alternative universe would not be worse than the other pains he had known since birth.

But his fall was mostly painless. His body was gone. Mikael had to travel in death. For it to work, the spell sent his soul to a future time, the future Mikael should have—and would have if the Hollow and the Vampire Mikaelsons had not been reborn in Mikael's universe.

***

It was a beautiful future, mostly.

His darling Freya studied and became a doctor, just as she had always dreamed. She met a kind woman, Keelin, and the two of them built a beautiful life together. Freya had to heal her anger before she could be happy, and although it was bittersweet, she did it. She healed.

His sweet Finn worked hard to become a lawyer, always fighting for the things he believed—even if he had to go through his shyness to do it. He met Francesco, a florist who loved and cherished Finn. Despite the hurt caused by some of Mikael's secrets, he had the honor of officiating Finn and Fran's wedding. Finn had to fight for his love, his family and his pride, but in the end, he won.

His dear Elijah had a bit more trouble finding his happiness. Always the selfless perfectionist, he almost followed Mikael's footsteps, sacrificing his own life for his family's future. But Mikael would be damned if he allowed Elijah to do such a thing. Fortunately, the Mikaelsons (in every universe) never abandon each other, and Elijah had the support of all his siblings to get back on his feet. Soon enough, Elijah was back at playing his tender melodies on the stage. Elijah became everything he ever wanted to be: an accomplished musician, a caring father, and a happy man.

His precious Rebekah was always so certain of what she wanted. It was difficult for her to change her plans. Yet, she always loved following her heart far more than she loved making lists of what her future life would be. Still, it was difficult to accept a new fate. But her family's love could always get her through anything, and this was no different.

His wild Kol had to give up a lot to become who he always wanted to be. It was not a simple path, but then again, transitioning hardly ever is. Yet his family made it better. The truth was his purest goal. To tell the truth and to live his truth.

His little Henrik also had many challenges to overcome, surviving and beating addiction with the help of his family. He grew up to become a teacher, helping children and teens in need, just like his father always did.

His loving Niklaus... Oh, how Mikael worried about his son, so sweet and caring in such a cruel world! But Klaus proved he was Mikael's son, if not by blood, then by all the love they held for each other. With his father's help and his family support, Klaus achieved everything he dreamed of: to become a great artist. Mikael was with him every step of the way, always so proud of his son...

Always so proud of his children...

Throughout the natural course of his life, Mikael kept his promise, never raising a hand against his children. Unfortunately, Stoick, Mikael's father, also kept his promise to make his son's life miserable. But, for as much as Mikael suffered, he kept it hidden from his children, always doing all he could to make sure they were happy...

***

Once Mikael opened his eyes in his new universe, filled with witches, werewolves and, soon enough, vampires... He smiled. The images of his future in his human world gave him the confidence he needed to face this new challenge, this new life.

He was the living proof his children could be happy. Mikael saw it with his own eyes, and he would make sure the Mikaelsons were happy in this universe too.... Even if it destroyed him.

A/N: pls vote and comment your thoughts!!