17. Royal Capital

AN: Gonna change the title of this from NURi to WARRiOR later on. Dunno, I just think it fits better. Anyways! Hi guys, been a while, eh? 

-

The capital, Kouka, booms with life.

It was like walking into a world and finally seeing colours again. From the grand displays of lavish foods and commodities, to the many dyes of garments and jewellery among townsfolk and nobility, to the hidden communities crowding the alleys, coloured warmly by the earth.

There was no space to even walk here.

The streets were sandwiched with people, and cutting through the masses warranted a blind squeeze of stepping through in correct general directions.

That, coupled with the mask over his eyes, makes for a very suffocating experience.

"Stay close, Noo-ri!" Tae-woo warned him, taking him by the wrist and pulling him right all the way back to his side. "Geez, finally found you."

It is not Noo-ri's fault that the crowd dragged him apart from everyone else.

Absolutely not.

Dressed in the clothing of the Wind Tribe, Noo-ri felt uncomfortable. It's not his usual fit, and it's definitely the prettiest thing he's ever worn in this lifetime. Tae-woo took Noo-ri's wrists, showing him where the ribbons are coming loose around the sleeve.

"Can't you wear your clothes properly?" he reprimanded, taking the time to tighten the bonds securely.

(Well, tying sleeves so they won't get in the way is a modern Wind thing...)

Today, Noo-ri was dressed like one of Mun-dok's boys.

Not to say he doesn't always dress like a one-- it's just the fact that the entourage of the General has to dress better when they're here. Intricate patterns on the trim of their overcoat, light colours, a more stylised head ornament, that kind of thing.

Even today, the band of Noo-ri's eyepatch is decorated with woven red string and jade beads, and the patterns of his clothes were made to match Tae-woo's.

It's not extravagant or anything, but it's definitely not home wear. And definitely, it was very expensive. Noo-ri did not like looking important, but alas.

-

Hiryuu Castle was different now. Paint had been recoated, wood had been changed, and many parts of it had been refurbished, demolished, and renovated.

What was once the training grounds was now a new palace. What was once the concubine's quarters has been cleared to build the new training grounds.

It's in the midst of this gandering, Noo-ri's wrist was taken again, and Tae-woo, harried, tried to navigate the crowds.

"C'mon, we're going to miss Lord Hak's match!"

Noo-ri was dragged toward the side of palace grounds, where Tae-woo greeted the guard with a simple sign before kicking off a tree to a wall, using the side as a step to reach a high branch. From there, he lunged over, managing to clear the internal palace walls, standing at the top and looking down to Noo-ri.

"Shortcut," was his only explanation. "Need any help?"

Uhm.

The guard said it was okay, so maybe the palace isn't always this easy to infiltrate.