9. Being Home

AN: One last chapter before I yeet off to camp.

-

Revision 16/12 - About Noo-ri's village.

Noo-ri's village was at the borders of the fire tribe, near the wind territory but too out of the way to be frequented.

The "king" of that village was not exactly a king, but something of a minor lord that was put in charge of the area. Tyrannical as he was, he gave himself the title of a king and commanded the army as such. It was not bad nor illegal per se, just frowned upon.

The "vision" they received about Sang's statue and reincarnation was a priest's prophecy. This does not however mean he was a priest-- I base this assumption off priests and prophecies of the bible. Some people such as lords can get visions even though they aren't prophets, because 'god' bestows upon them a hope or a warning for the future. This is one of those scenarios.

End of Note.

-

-

"Hey, Sang," Lord Shuten would find him seated at the edge of the cliff, and despite their positions, they would sit down side by side and enjoy each other's company.

Sang would gesture, hi, hi, instead of a polite greeting.

It was custom in the faction that you greet each other casually in situations other than battle and official events. At first, people feared yelling 'hey buddy' at Lord Shuten, but eventually they started going 'hey jackass' at him instead, taking advantage of the rule.

It was funny and in many events preposterous, (Abi lectured them for an hour about it to no avail,) but everyone got close, trusted each other, and valued unity in teamwork. There was a reason Shuten's faction was the strongest as a team.

(Though, it only made the losses harder to bear.)

"You're not mute, are you?" Shuten had asked him.

It was a strange question. Sang had never spoken before. Never mustered a sound even through the toughest trainings-- there was just no voice in him.

"Just now-- when you were sparring with the General," Shuten told him, "there was just one moment, when he hit you in the ribs with the spear-- but you made a sound."

Sang looked at him, utterly confused. What was he talking about? Sure, that had hurt-- he had broken a rib because of that, the General apologized profusely-- but Sang couldn't make noise if he consciously tried.

(He couldn't, not anymore.)

"One day," Shuten told him, "I hope I'll be able to hear you call my name."

-

It was strange, to suddenly have a home after a month of living in the wild.

Now he sat on a chair, patiently waiting as Ayame trimmed his hair. The party had lasted through the entirety of last night, so he still felt sleepy.