Knocking on Heavens Door

~

"Don't go tonightStay here one more time,"~October 31, 1981, ~

"Don't go tonight
Stay here one more time,"
~October 31, 1981, ~

Tears brimmed her eyes as she looked down at her lap. Her knees were bent as her feet rested on the coffee table, and the little boy sitting beside her was now lying with his chin on her knee, staring down with the biggest smile at the baby that was propped up and staring at her.

"You like her?" She asked her son as she ruffled his hair. His eyes flickered to his mum, then back down to his sister. "I'll take that as a yes,"

Averie sunk back into the couch, one hand on the baby, slowly rubbing soothing circles, and the other held onto the boy's hand. She watched as the boy's eyes gradually became heavier and almost closed.

A door was opened in the hall. His eyes shot fully open, and he looked over at the archway. Footsteps echoed down the hallway as they got closer and closer until they were right in front of the opening.

The boy immediately twisted out from where he was wrapped around her arm and ran- in a way only a one year old could- to him, mumbling a word that resembled 'dada' but wasn't quite there. Sirius knelt to meet the boy as he jumped into his arms. He stood up with the boy in his arms as he rested his head on his dad's shoulder.

"Hi, buddy," He kissed his head and walked over to his wife on the couch.

"How'd it go?" The couch sank next to where she sat as Sirius occupied the space.

He sighed and repositioned the boy in his arms so his head now rested on his chest as he now slept, "He said nothing changed,"

Her eyes closed as she, too, moved so her head rested on Sirius, but her knees still held her daughter. "Are we still safe here?"

"I don't know. Maybe? We never know," She sighed, "How was he?"

"James said he was good, and Pete said he stole half of his stash," Averie pointed to the kitchen counter across the hallway, "Wants it for breakfast tomorrow,"

Sirius laughed as he manoeuvred the little boy in his arms so he could easily carry him. "Let's go put 'em down,"

Averie lifted her head from his shoulder, slid her hands under her daughter, and similarly rested her to how Sirius was holding Leo. The pair began to walk down the hall and to the staircase when a knock came at the door, stopping them both.

It was silent for a minute, then another one came. She tightened her grip on the baby as Sirius took a step toward the door. Her hand shot out and grabbed his arm; he halted. Sirius looked down at their son, loosened his grip, and held him out.

"What, no. You aren't answering the door," Averie hissed at him, and he rolled his eyes.

"It's probably just the neighbour. She was out when I got home,"