Chapter Three

Ella's POV

I walked beside Jerry, kicked around a pinecone. Theo and Jerry had convinced me to come exploring with them. 

They heard from someone that there was this waterfall and cliff that they wanted to check out. And well someone responsible had to go with them to make sure they don't do anything stupid.

"Come on Ella, it's going to be cool," Theo says walking backward in front of us with a grin. "Really, it seriously is. I mean Dane said that it's this huge waterfall and this huge cliff. I bet it's going to be awesome!"

As he said that he ran right into a tree. I let out a smile and laugh, and so did Jerry. Theo blushed but then burst out laughing as well.

"Man, you really just walked into that tree," Jerry says between his laughter.

"Well you guys didn't say anything," Theo said between his laughter as well. It was obvious how they were friends. I smiled now glad I had joined their adventure.

"I don't know if a waterfall could beat that," I tease with a smile.

Theo groans with a laugh, "you guys are going to bring this up forever now, aren't you?"

Jerry and I glanced at each other then back to Theo with a smile and nod. "You bet we are," Jerry grinned as he kicked the pinecone we were kicking again.

Theo rolled his eyes, still laughing, as we walked along. His laugh faded to silence, and he quickly turned to Jerry and me, shutting us both up. 

We stopped in panic, "what's wrong?" The grin that consumed his face made me sigh in relief.

"Don't you hear it?" Theo asks, raising his eyebrows, "it's the waterfall."

I listened closely, now hearing the sound of water flowing. I smiled, now a bit excited to see the waterfall that Theo had been talking up. I honestly hadn't believed it was actually real.

Theo turned around and ran in the direction of the noise with a wide grin. Jerry smiled looking at me and grabbing my hand as we both followed after him.

"Holy cow!" Theo shouted in joy as he stood at the treeline. We joined his side, my eyes widening at the sight of the large waterfall. But even more at the larger cliff, that was only around 20 feet in front of us.

"That's a bit higher than Dane said it would be…" Jerry said with slight fear in his voice. 

"Dude, are you afraid of heights?" Theo asks with his brows furrowed. "Because I didn't know that…"

"No," Jerry said too quickly, standing up straighter. "I'm not afraid of heights, I just didn't expect the cliff to be so… high up."

"It's alright if you are afraid of heights," I comment, squeezing his hand with a soft smile. "Everyone's afraid of something."

"Yeah, man everyone's afraid of something," Theo repeated with a shrug. "I mean at least it's something that makes sense, rather than being afraid of long words...I mean I've never understood that one…"

"A little off topic Theo, but I appreciate it," Jerry says with a laugh, sounding a bit less nervous. But obviously still scared, can't cure a fear with a few words.

Theo started walking closer causing both me and Jerry to grab his arms and pull him back. 

"Come on guys!" Theo exasperated looking between Jerry and me.

"This is close enough," I say with an ordering tone, "any closer and we are really risking our lives. And before you say you'll be careful, it doesn't matter how careful you are, you could still get hurt or worse."

"Right...okay," Theo said with a disappointed sigh.

Instead of getting closer, Theo took a seat on the ground leaning against a tree. Jerry and I followed his action, taking a seat across from him.

"This almost reminds me of when we were back at home, and we would go exploring," Theo reminisced, looking off towards the waterfall.

"Yeah it kind of is like that, except now it's just us three," Jerry sighed as he looked at us sadly, "I wonder if we had invited Grayson if he would've come. This is the kind of stuff he lived for…"

"Things have changed," I add, "none of us can expect Grayson to not have changed. I mean considering what he lost… I mean we all lost a lot, but it all tied back to Grayson. His aunt, uncle, kind of grandpa, and Daniella."

They both nod their heads understanding. We sat in silence for a couple moments just listening to the waterfall.

"Though maybe next time we come out here, we can ask and see if he's up to it," I offer, wondering if maybe having something normal again would make him happy again. 

The soccer game we all played was the first time I had seen him smile since everything happened. And the first time I think he was genuinely having fun. Maybe the waterfall would make him feel the same way.

"Maybe this is a stupid question, but I just want to heat your guys' answers," Theo speaks afterward looking at Jerry and me. "If you could go back in time, back to before the senseless, back to when the world wasn't this way…would you?"

I was slightly surprised by Theo's question, not expecting one that held some kind of meaning behind it. No offense to him, but it wasn't his forte. 

"I don't know.." Jerry spoke first as he looked between us, "if I went back I would've never met you two."

"Yeah, that's one benefit of all this," Theo nodded with a small smile.

"I think I would like to have my old family back again, but I mostly wish that I could have all of my new family again. Like when we were back at home base, and we would go on adventures like this…" I spoke up.

"If only it was the same," Theo said with a sigh, leaving us all silent and deep in thought. 

"You three shouldn't be out here alone," someone spoke farther in the trees. We all jumped up to our feet, our eyes wide in fear. 

The figure moved towards us, all three of us backing up slowly. Jerry glanced back towards the cliff, causing me to as well, seeing how close we were to the edge.

"You three should be careful," the person spoke again, their face finally visible. We stopped walking, our shoulders dropping in relief.

Hallyanna stood there giving us a wary look. We all rush forward away from the cliff right when we see it's just her.

"We're so sorry," I start, "we just wanted to see the waterfall and we were planning on coming back real soon. We'll head back right now."

Hallyanna shushed me walking next to us and towards the cliff more. "I don't blame you, this waterfall is a sight to see…" She trailed off as she stood at the very edge of the cliff, no fear in her voice or body.

She turned back at us, her back to the cliff, "no point in you coming all the way out without getting enough time to appreciate this view. Anyways I said you shouldn't be out here alone, and now I am here, so you've got adult supervision."

"Really?" Theo asks, surprised, with a small smile forming on his face. "We can stay out here a bit longer?"

Hallyanna nodded as she sat down by the edge of the cliff. "Though you kids should probably stay farther away than me, I don't want one of you getting hurt."

We all took our previous seats, Jerry and Theo grinning at me. Giving me an I told you so look. I rolled my eyes at them and looked back at Hallyanna, curious as why she was being nice. Everyone always said she was super mean and strict. 

I guess that's why you never take someone's word for something. She reminded me a bit of Harper, strict at first glance, but when you look closer...you find a nice and fun person.

I smiled remembering when I first really found that out about Harper. Something I'm glad I got the chance to do before…

I frowned now really thinking about what Theo said earlier. If only it was the same.