Snow Day

Jack's point of view

It's been a year since we stopped Pitch and I still can't stop thinking of him.

I know what it's like to be ignored, alone. To have everyone walk right through you. It's a startling feeling the first time. Like when you're on a roller coaster and it suddenly drops. It takes your stomach with it.

At least that's what Jamie says, that kid loves roller coasters. 

Just thinking about him makes me smile. My first believer. I don't know what is going to happen when he gets older, but I'm not looking forward to it. I'm walking around Antarctica it's a beautiful place. I get to practice my frost creatures out in the open, mostly just rabbits. They're fun, they hop around and hide amongst the snow I create.   

Last year Pitch tried to get me on his side. He wanted me to help him bring fear to children everywhere, but that's not what I wanted.  As I walk around the giant sculpture we created I get a chill. It's weird, normally I don't get cold. Yet anytime I think of him a chill runs down my spine. The good kind that makes you smile, and a warm feeling spreads through your stomach. 

This has become a part of my daily routine. I visit Antarctica and reminisce on . . . 

well I don't really know what I'm reminiscing. 

 That's just the only way that I can describe how I feel. It's like this nostalgic and almost longing feeling. I can't wrap my head around it. You would think I had known Pitch forever, or something the way I keep visiting our old haunts. The alley where I saw him the first time, the tooth palace, the frozen lake where his nightmares are occasionally seen and finally Antarctica. More specifically, the statue of nightmare sand and ice we created it stands tall and proud as it mocks me. I keep returning to this place and the more I do the broader the smile gets on the sculpture. It smiles at me as it mocks me like it knows something I don't.  

" What are you looking at, huh?! Why do you taunt me? " 

I'm not expecting an answer it's just a wall of ice, and sand that Pitch and I created with our shared hatred for loneliness. But the unexpected happens. 

"Yeah, Mr. Ice-Sand sculpture! Please enlighten us both as to why it is that we are called here today." 

I'd know that voice anywhere