late arrival

She had woken up late today.

This was not good. At this hour, most of the maids were already bustling about, and the kitchen was occupied.

Today, she was not able to retrieve any mochi for the Young master.

It had not only scared her, but it made her upset. The Young master wouldn't have mochi, a snack in which he seemed to enjoy dearly, today.

And because of that, he might become angry at her.

She was always, always going to be in a tight situation. There were no safe zones here.

But, much to her shock, the tray prepared for the Young master today already included a plate of mochi.

She stared at it.

She did not question the cook. For the young girl was too confused and afraid to.

When she was in his room, she had to wonder whether it was his doing.

No. No, it wasn't. It couldn't be. She must cut off that foolish, selfish thought. Perhaps the Heads of the Family Estate finally changed their minds, perhaps the cook intervened, or Akiyama- san

There was no way, in eternity, that it was his doing. That he would help her. The thought of him, a holy heir, aiding a mere maid—it was just impossible .

"You," He spoke, and she listened, surprised.

He wasn't looking at her, but he was looking down at his plates. "You should take more time to rest, rather than stealing in the crack of dawn." He spoke simply, taking another bite of the mochi. It sounded like a criticism.

He swallowed. "Then, perhaps you would be more interesting."

Her eyes widened.

There was no way.

She remembered the candlelight. His eyes, his beautiful, beautiful eyes. His stare.

It couldn't be.

Her lips flew open, "Y-Young master—!"

"You may take your leave now." He interrupted, then proceeded to resume his meal. The young girl, once again, felt her chest blossom.

She bowed, once at his side, and another at the door.

But this time, before she slid it shut, she decided to have a change of words.

"Thank you very much, Young master."

He didn't respond.

Her lips twitched into the smallest of smiles, before sliding the door to a close.