the art of writing

A hot summer slowly crept into a cool autumn.

Hina admired the change of color. There was so much yellow, so much orange. Bright , beautiful, glistening colors.

During breakfast one day, Gojo Satoru had surprised her, yet again.

By stuffing mochi into her mouth.

"Eat. It tastes good." He said simply, making Hina squeak and flinch at the sudden act. Her cheeks were pink.

"Y-Youmgh maphta . . !" Her voice was muffled, as she quickly covered her mouth and attempted to chew down the squishy substance. It was hard, but she managed to gulp it down after a minute.

It tasted good. It hit her with a sense of nostalgia to the day she first tried it, the day when she first stole the snack for the Young master before he intervened.

That was not important.

Her mouth was now empty, the sweetness still remaining in her mouth. "Young master! W-Why would you—!"

"It's too much for me to eat." He cut in smoothly. She blinked.

"B-But it can't be . . you always end up finishing a plate on your own . ."

Her words died down. Gojo Satoru looked at her with an unreadable expression.

" . . . Because it tastes good."

Hina found herself smiling. An unusual smile for her, not a solemn one, not a sad one. A genuine, content smile. "Indeed it does, Young master. But I mustn't."

"Why not?"

"Because I am a maid."

"Hah." He scoffed.

Another day in their never-ending cycle, Gojo Satoru told her a story.

"There's a famous one about a girl who got eaten by a wolf who was disguising himself as her grandmother."

Hina felt chills run down her spine. "H-Huh?"

"Basically, this girl with a red cloak was walking in a forest on her way to her grandmother's house, but then she met a wolf. The wolf asked where she was heading, and she told him like the fool she was."

Hina blinked. "The wolf could . . speak?" She knew of wolves, but had never seen one with her own two eyes before.

"In the story, yes. It's stupid." He replied, then sipped his tea. "Then, when the girl reached her grandmother's house, she saw that her grandmother looked different."

"Her grandmother was a . . a wolf?" Hina asked, feeling fearful.

"Mhm. Turns out the wolf ate her grandmother. And then he ate her. But then, this huntsman found them and ended up saving the two of them."

"H-How?" Wouldn't they be . . dead?

He shrugged. "He slit the wolf's belly open and pulled them out in one piece. It makes me wonder whether the huntsman could have been a Jujutsu Sorcerer using Reverse Curse Manifestation."

Hina did not understand such a story.

". . . Young master, such a story I cannot seem to understand."

"You don't have to. It's ludicrous. It would have made more sense if the girl and her grandmother had actually died."

She didn't know what to say to that. She didn't know what to say to a lot of the things Gojo Satoru said.

One day, Gojo Satoru asked her to sit at the table with him. Hina did as told.

It was a cool afternoon. He had requested her presence when he had returned from training. A plate of pink, sakura petal-colored mochi sat on the table gingerly.