CHAPTER ONE | What I Wanted

| Arabella |

I looked at myself in the mirror, admiring the soft olive green dress that hugged my slender frame. I couldn't deny that I had made the right decision having stolen the dress for today.

The pastel tone accentuating my tanned skin from years of being out in the sun. Small white flowers patterned across the fabric. It fit perfectly. The cotton tickled the exposed parts of my thighs where it hung loosely.

Leaning forward, I slipped the black leather belt I had snagged along with the dress, fitting it in place before sitting down on the worn grey arm chair that sat in the corner of the motel room. Grabbing my white leather sneakers and slipping them on.

I glanced at myself one last time in the mirror, looking at a girl that was unrecognizable to me. The dress and shoes, the clean skin and hair made her look normal, like everyone else. But the eyes, they always stayed the same. Dark, dull, lifeless. Not even the glittery green eye shadow in the corners of my eyes could brighten the years of trauma settled in them.

Sighing deeply, I turned for the door grabbing my Ray Bans and black leather crossbody handbag on the way out. I glanced back once more, taking in the small room as I knew this would probably be the last time I'd sleep in a bed for a while.

*

I looked down at the pamphlet in my hand, eyes zeroing in on the centre picture. My finger caressed the glossy print of a very specific, and very expensive diamond tennis bracelet. The white gold encapsulating small diamonds in a sleek and simple design. It was exquisite.

And I wanted it.

I could already feel that tell tale sign of a buzz simmering in my veins at the thought of stealing something and getting away with it. That pure adrenaline rush I was hoping to find.

Looking up at the coppered letters, the warm interior glow and soft aromatics that were already calling my name, I began folding the paper. Repeating the folds until all that was left was a small, stiff rectangular shape.

I rolled my shoulders back, standing straighter as I approached the guard positioned by the front gate, dress flowing freely with the wind of my long purposeful strides. His eyes followed my slender frame, his gaze lowered down my legs and back up to meet my eyes.

I smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. His responding smile put my mind at ease as he opened the gate for me, lifting his hand in gesture to walk through. His eyes followed me as I stepped through before turning back.

I pulled the gate closed behind me while slipping the folded pamphlet into the locking mechanism, side glancing to listen for the click.

"Good day, is there anything I can help you with today?"

Excitement trickled through my veins in anticipation as a genuine smile found its way to my lips, a warmth flooding my cheeks, breaths becoming shallow. It begins.

"No thank you, I am just looking for now," I replied sweetly, voice slightly higher than normal.

Nodding, he returned the smile, crows feet forming as his chestnut brown eyes followed the length of my dress, flicking up at the distant sound of heels clicking against tiles.

"Please call if there is anything I can assist with."

I smiled once more with a nod as he brushed past me. I rolled my eyes.

Finally alone, I took a quick glance around the store, striding to the open display case I was here for.

"Good day, is there anything I can assist you with?"