Take a Walk

"Calum stop, where are you even going?" Emma asked.

He ignored her and pushed the elevator button.

"You can't just leave"

The elevator rose up to their floor and he stepped inside.

"Just come back when you've cooled down" she said realizing nothing she said could make him talk to her.

The image of Emma became thin as the two doors closed together. He descended to the bottom floor alone with the elevator music. The doors opened again in the lobby.

"Hello Mr. Hood, going out?" Raina asked at the front desk.

Calum looked over "yeah" he responded.

"Have a nice time!" she smiled politely.

He put on his best fake smile and trudged out of the room. The pushed passed the rotating doors and walked down the freshly wet side walk. His thoughts soon took over and clouded his mind.

"He just doesn't understand" he thought "she's going to break him, love hurts"

He shuffled his feet along the side of the road stepping in puddles making water splash around his ankles. The sounds of barking dogs ringed in his ears "what the heck?" He looked behind him. A little dog ran up the road followed by a dog catcher truck.

The puppy barked.

"Come here!" The driver yelled pulling over "wait!" He said getting out following him into an alley.

Out of curiosity Calum walked down to the opposite entrance and watched.

The puppy knocked over trashcans and ran through mud puddles. The dog catcher followed him tripping over his mess.

Calum laughed.

"When I catch you you'll be euthanized you annoying thing!" The man yelled from a mud covered face.

Calum gasped. The dog ran by him "wait!" He yelled after it. He chased him down the alley way and onto streets dodging cars praying he wouldn't get hit "puppy come here!" He yelled but the dog didn't listen. He whistled and called and did everything he knew could get a dogs attention. He crossed a road but Calum had to take a break.

"Your dog get lose?" Someone asked.

"Uh yeah" Calum turned around. The man was a cop. He looked at the ground making his hood fall further over his face.

"Need some help?" He asked.

"No thanks" he said quickly.

"Son, it's not too nice to speak to someone without making eye contact"

Calum didn't say a word but saw the mans taping foot. He looked up slowly.

The cop recognized his face "Freeze!" He said pulling out his gun.

Calum, like always, ran. And the police man, like always, shot at him. He didn't turn around but he heard the sirens of the car turn on after a few shots were fired.

He ran behind a restaurant and looked for a place to hide. The only good spot was a dumpster "great" he said diving in. Something moved in the corner.

Woof

"Hey!" He said happily. He heard the squad car pull up to a curb and the door open and close.

"This is the police! Come out with your hands up!" He yelled.

Calum looked at the dog and the dog looked back at him.

The next sound he heard was a man panting.

"Excuse me sir but have you seen this man?" The policeman asked. Calum assumed he was showing him his mug shot.

"No" the man shook his head breathing heavily "have- have you seen this dog?" He asked.

"No but I'll keep my eye out if you do the same"

"Yeah yeah sure"

"There's a thousand dollar reward for him and a five thousand dollar reward for him and his friends" the policeman said.

The dog catcher gasped "f-five thousand!"

"Well damn I might turn myself in" Calum said to himself.

"Yes sir, have a nice night. Stay safe" he replied walking away.

Calum heard the dog catcher leave a little later. He pushed open the dumpster lid and jumped out. The dog followed him. He looked down "looks like we'er both wanted huh?" He asked.

The dog barked.

"What's your name little fella?" Calum bent down to look for a collar but found nothing. Thunder boomed in the background and the dog scampered in between Calum's legs "it's okay" he picked him up "you can come home with me" he said and snuck out of the empty lot.

Comment some dog names :)