Catching Up (With Dogs)

The first thing they saw when the door was opened was a giant mess.
"Are you kidding me, Bandit?!" Kyle cried.
Bandit was Kyle's dog, which was a German shepherd. He had put a little sweatshirt that Kyle had when he was younger in his dog, who was slightly big.
Bandit had chewed up the pillows on the couch and had spilled Kyle's pop. He wrecked the living room, and they had put gates up since Bandit was still only a little puppy so he wouldn't wreck the whole house. At least he was housebroken.
"Aw, is this your dog?" Nathan crouched down, and Bandit ran up and began to jump on him.
"Yes, but—" Kyle paused "No! Down boy!" He scooped up Bandit in his arms, then gave him to Nathan.
"Aww!! He's so cute!" Nathan kissed the dog's head and pet him. He walked over to the lime green couch, the color in which Kyle had hated. The couch was so ugly. Nathan didn't seem to mind, and sat down anyways.
"We have a cat, too. Her name is Missy. She's an orange tabby. She's in my r—"
"No, no, no! I'm extremely allergic," Nathan's expression has dropped, and now looked very nervous.
"Oh, uh, sorry, I can make sure the door is shut. She never likes to leave my room anyways, so all her stuff is in there," Kyle explained.
"Alright, that's okay then," Nathan said, relaxing a bit. "So what movie are we gonna watch?"
"Probably Child's Play. I love that movie," he answered.
"I haven't seen it," Nathan looked down at the puppy, then gently put him on the floor, and Bandit walked off and lied down.
"Oh, really?" Kyle asked, slightly surprised. "I mean it's kinda old, so uh..."
"No, no, yeah," Nathan commented. Is that a yes or no? Kyle thought.
"Well, did you get something to eat? You've been driving forever," he asked.
Nathan shook his head, then got up and scavenged through Kyle's fridge, just like old times.
"H-Hey!" Kyle stood, and laughed a bit. "What are you doing?"
"Getting f—" Nathan paused, then slowly turned to Kyle and started laughing. "Oh my god, you still eat Kid Cuisines?!" He continued laughing, and Kyle looked away, partly embarrassed.
"Yeah— well, I mean no— I mean—"
Nathan kept laughing and grabbed two from the fridge.
"Never change, Kyle," Nathan put a hand on his shoulder and smiled. At first, Kyle smiled, then realized he had changed.
He hasn't been the same optimistic, cheerful, playful, happy little boy he used to be eleven years ago. He was older. He wasn't optimistic. He wasn't cheerful. He wasn't playful. He certainly wasn't happy.
But something about Nathan had started to bring a bit of that back.
They usually weren't allowed to eat on the couch because there was a table, but Jonathan wasn't here, and with no dad to say no, they did it anyways.
"So Nathan, how's it been down there? You know, still in America?"
"It's kind of lonely without you. There's some okay kids at school but... I never told anyone about Eteled," Nathan answered, he stared at his mac n cheese Kid Cuisine, and pushed the food around with his fork. He put one arm up and held his face and sighed. "I missed you. It's hard making new friends, you know?" Kyle looked at Nathan with sympathy and nodded.
"I wish I hadn't told anyone about him. I told a supposed 'friend' about it, and said not to tell ANYONE. So of course, they told the whole school. Let's just say I had to switch schools because of how bad it got," Kyle muttered, looking at the blank TV.
"Oh, jeez, I'm so sorry, Kyle. That sounds horrible," Nathan had a worried look on his face and dropped his arm down. "Was it that bad?"
"Yeah," Kyle sighed. "Yeah it was,"
"Oh, jeez."
It was silent for a second.
Kyle didn't mention Sam, Corrupted Mii, or anything else that had happened after. He didn't want to worry Nathan.
"What about you? What have you been up to?" Kyle asked, attempting to change the subject off of him.
"Oh! Well, not too much. I went to counseling for the whole Eteled thing. You remember how bad that was, right?" Nathan nervously laughed, and Kyle did too.
Kyle had gotten up to throw away the empty packages.
It's already 7:16?! How long have we been talking?!
"Nathan, did you just wanna sleep here or something? It might be easier," Kyle suggested.
"Sure, but I didn't bring any clothes."
"I have some. You should be able to fit into them."
"Oh, thanks, Kyle!" Nathan smiled, then went back to petting the puppy.
Kyle walked off to his room and grabbed his Wii U, which he had made sure there were no creepy bald guys on it with diagraphephobia. The fear of being deleted.
"You wanna play until it's time to watch the movie?" Kyle asked.
"...Uh, Kyle—" Nathan started
"It's okay, it's not, you know, haunted or anything. We don't have to play it," Kyle put it down on the table.
"No thanks," Nathan said, hugging Bandit. Kyle shrugged, then put the Wii U back.
"So what do you wanna do? Do you wanna start it now?" Kyle asked.
"We could get everything set up. You did, right?" Nathan turned to face Kyle.
"Sort of..." Kyle scratched his head, looking away.
"Well, why don't we finish? It's already..." Nathan pulled his sleeve up and looked at watch. "7:22."
Where''s he supposed to sleep? Kyle thought. He can't step foot in my room. Not with Missy. He looked at Nathan, who was still cradling Bandit, the sleeping little puppy.
"Alright. Let's get you situated."