Chapter 5: Satyr

I stepped into the room and sighed in relief when I saw that Lena was awake, and was speaking to the old woman. My run-in with the satyr must have made me doubt her intentions, which is why I'd immediately assumed the worst after seeing her standing over Lena in a dimly lit room.

"The satyr told me that this is his inn, not yours," I said.

The old woman's head moved in a nod before she turned to face me. "That's right. I never said I owned it. I simply help him run his business. He would be penniless if it wasn't for me. He doesn't particularly...enjoy interacting with others."

Lena sat up, her eyes wide. "A satyr? I've never seen one."

"You'll be seeing him around, child. He doesn't leave this place," the old woman said. "Now, have I answered all of your questions? I must go rest my old bones. I'll see you children in the morning." And with that, she left.

"When did you see the satyr?" Lena asked as I started changing into my clothes after I closed the door of our room.

Pulling a tunic over my head, I said, "He came in for a bath when I was about to leave. He didn't seem too pleased that he had guests in his inn."

She yawned. "What the old woman said must be true then. He must not enjoy interacting with others." Stretching her arms, she lied back down on her mattress. "I hope I get to see him in the morning," she said through another yawn, her eyes fluttering shut. "I've always wanted to see a satyr in real life."

As soon as my head hit the pillow, my eyes felt heavy and I was pulled straight to sleep.

~~~

I walked down the stairs with Lena behind me as we followed the sweet scent coming from the kitchen. The alluring smell pulled us in until we were standing in front of a large redwood table filled with every food from the market we'd passed through yesterday. Eros was the only one sitting at this table, his plate full.

The old woman walked in with a basket of freshly baked bread, its aroma wafting into my nose and awakening my appetite even further.

Eros reached out to grab a roll, but the old woman yanked the basket away and slapped his hand. "You've had enough. Leave some for the rest of them." Shaking her head disapprovingly, she put the bread down on the table, as far away from him as possible. Looking up at Lena and I, she smiled. "Sit, sit. Eat before the food gets cold."

We were more than happy to oblige. As Lena moved to sit beside Eros, the old woman pulled my hand to seat me there instead.

"Will you help me bring fruits to the table, child?" she asked her.

"Of course," Lena said, following the woman out of the dining room.

Eros watched as the old woman walked away, and as soon as she was out of sight, he spoke, "Could you pass me that bread basket, human?"

I sighed and gave him the basket, chuckling lightly when I saw his eyes light up as he took a bread roll.

I looked up at the doorway when I heard someone walk in.

The satyr stopped in his tracks when he saw that the table was occupied. Our eyes locked for a moment, and then he turned to leave.

"Not so fast, Bion." The old woman's stern voice made him freeze. "Come and join us for breakfast."

With a long sigh and a few curse words, he turned back around and took a seat at the table, refusing to meet anyone's eyes.

"It's the satyr!" Lena exclaimed when she walked in holding a plate of cut fruits. She placed it down and approached the goat-man. "Do these hurt?" She touched one of his horns.