Chapter 8: Ninja

I yelped when mother took my hand and dragged me out of the ballroom.

She led us through the halls, then walked into an empty bedroom, closing the door behind us. With a raised brow, she turned, waiting for me to speak. 

I cleared my throat. "Uh... So... I know that you must be angry that I left without telling you and father, but I had my reasons, which I will explain --"

"Where did you get this dress?" she interrupted.

I looked down at the garment that was much too revealing to be appropriate for a court lady, let alone a princess. "From a nymph." I bit my lip, waiting for a scolding. 

"It looks good on you," she said, making me look up in surprise. "Now...you better run, darling." She started to roll up her sleeves. 

I widened my eyes and dashed for the bed, climbing onto it and holding out my hands in front of me. "Mother, I will explain everything-- ahh!"

She jumped onto the bed and nearly caught me had I not moved in time to run to the window. "Do you have any idea how worried I was for you?" She grabbed a pillow from the bed. "How worried your father was? You ran away without a single word of warning to do Gods know what! And when I sent Nephos to bring you home, you somehow talked him out of it!" 

She chased me around the room with the big pillow raised above her head. 

"Mother, wait!" I yelped when the pillow came down on me, hitting the wall instead and catching onto a metal hook. Mother yanked it back, which ripped the pillow open, making it rain white feathers onto the wooden floor. 

The soft pillow hit the back of my head when she swung it again. I spit out a feather and kept running from my furious mother. 

"I come to Gora to find you, and what do I see? My daughter having a grand time with a young man. Didn't even have time to send me a letter to tell me that you were all right!" 

"I'm sorry-- ahh!" She caught me and threw me on the bed, spanking me with a now half-empty pillow. I didn't feel any pain, but I knew that her point wasn't to hurt me. Just punish. 

More feathers spilled out, flying around us when the door opened and a wide-eyed Eros took in the scene in front of him. 

Mother immediately straightened, moving the pillow away from my arse and hiding it behind her back as if he hadn't already witnessed her ruthless spanking. Feathers were sticking out of her hair along with wild, loosened strands from all the running. From a quick glance in the mirror on the wall, I knew I didn't look any better. 

"Could you please kindly close the door and wait outside while I speak with Cassia?" mother told the God with a warm smile. 

Eros hesitated, glancing at the me, then at the mess in the room. His nod was slow, uncertain. "I will be right outside while you... speak."

As soon as the door closed, mother plopped down onto the bed, beside me. "Are you all right?"

I groaned into the bedding before lifting myself up and turning to sit. "No. That was beyond embarrassing," I whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" mother whispered. 

"Because Eros is outside. He could hear me," I said. 

She studied my face, then smiled. "His name is Eros?" 

I nodded. Meeting her gaze, I whispered, "Are you done punishing me so we can actually speak?"

Mother laughed softly, picking out feathers from my hair. "Yes, darling, I'm done. I'll listen now. Tell me what happened."