Chapter 4

"Have you heard already?"

"Heard what?"

"Danzo Shimura was behind the attack seven years ago!"

"Seven years... You mean the attack of the Kyuubi?!"

"That's right! People are talking about it these days."

"Oh my god, you can't really judge a person by his appearance! Shimura seemed such a nice old man. I was wondering why he didn't come to my tea shop anymore..."

xxx

"It seems that it wasn't the Uchiha behind the attack of the Kyuubi."

"Seriously?! Where have you heard that?"

"There was this family in the shop today who talked about it and I accidentally overheard them."

"Accidentally? Hehehe, you sly dog. Eavesdropping on your customers, eh?"

"Shut up! How an old cripple like me should know what's going on in Konoha otherwise? Humph!"

"Yeah, yeah. ...But are you serious about the Uchihas?"

"The relative of those people works in the Hokage Tower, so must be true. Right?"

xxx

"...Danzo Shimura? As in the advisor for the Hokage-sama?"

"Yeah! Can you imagine? And he even managed to push the blame on those poor Uchihas."

"Hmm... Something seems fishy about this, Mai."

"God, I feel so bad for being so nasty with Yumiko just because I thought her clan was at fault for the death of little Akio."

"You shouldn't listen to every rumor out where."

"How could I do that to her? We were friends!"

"Mai? Mai! Where are you going?"

"To apologize!"

xxx

"Hey, don't you think those guys from the Uchiha clan are really handsome?"

"They are downright gorgeous!"

"I know right! Just look at the one standing over there!"

"He's a ninja! His eyes are so enchanting, but he still has that bad boy aura about him, oh my god!"

"Right, right! Even with clothes, he's so hot! Could just eat him all up!"

"I really want to jump on him and rip his clothes off, just to see what's und– Kyaaaaaaah!"

"Aaaaaaah! Where had this freaky wind come from?!"

"My documents! Catch them! Catch those sheets!"

xxx

"Why did you use a wind release on those girls? What did you overhear?"

Those three chattering teenagers were a bit too far for Shisui to eavesdrop on their conversation, but Naruto definitely had heard them due to her extremely sensitive hearing. He found out about it during this covert mission as they were running around Konoha till exhaustion, using Henge to transform into unremarkable civilians and spread rumors for the last three days without any break.

The plan was coming along nicely; people were starting to gossip on their own. Despite the obvious wariness and cautiousness surrounding Konoha's general populace, the planted rumors began to take root into their minds slowly but surely. That's why the trio allowed themselves to take a short break today. It was an unbearably hot day, so they settled under the tree, reveling in the coolness of its shade, far from the usual gathering spots of big crowds. Though Itachi somehow managed to wander off who knows where.