X

AN: Three years later and we've finally reached the end of Legally Blonde! I guess, this goes to show that I can finish stories even if it takes me years haha. Thank you to everyone who is still reading my stuff despite my infrequent activity! x

***

The courtroom was completely silent as Carol took a seat at the stand. You were shaking with nerves as it all depended on you now. Why had you agreed to this? Standing up to Pierce had sounded so good that you had totally forgotten that you would also have to win this on your own now. You were only a first-year law student and definitely not fit to represent Sharon. Fuck.

"Ms Woods, you may begin your questioning," the judge proclaimed.

Oh, God. Eyes wide, you stood up, shuffling through your papers. "Um, well. First of all, I would like to point out that not only is there no proof in this case, but there is a complete lack of mens rea, which by definition tells us there can be no crime without a vicious will."

The judge cut in. "I am aware of the meaning of mens rea. What I'm unaware of is why you're giving me a vocabulary lesson when you should be questioning your witness." She gestured towards Carol.

"Um, yes, your honour," you gulped, trying to ignore the thought of Pierce laughing at you. You lifted the folder with your notes in them before turning your attention to Carol. "Miss Carter. When you arrived back at the house, um, was your father there?"

Carol leaned forwards towards the mic and drawled monotonously, "I didn't see him, but like I said, I went straight upstairs to take a shower."

"And when you came downstairs, what did you see?"

Carol stared directly at Sharon, her voice cracking a bit. "I saw Sharon standing over his body," she looked over at the jury," covered in his blood."

You frowned. "But you didn't see Mrs Carter with a gun?"

"No. She stashed it by then."

Bucky cut in, "Move to strike that from the record, Your Honour. It's speculation."

The judge nodded, "So stricken."

Bucky gave you an encouraging nod and whispered: "Go ahead." You took a few deep breaths, feeling better by his reassuring smile.

You stepped closer to the witness again. "Miss Carter, did you hear a shot fired?"

"No, I was in the shower."

"Okay. So, sometime in the twenty minutes, you were in the shower, your father was shot."

"I guess," she nodded.

"Your father was shot while you were in the shower, but you didn't hear the shot because..." you tried to make sense of her story, "because you were in the shower?" People were starting to look confused, and most were wondering where you wanted to go with this. However, you could feel that there was something here. If only you could figure it out. Come on, Y/N!

"I was washing my hair," Carol looked at you like you were dumb.

You could hear mumbles from behind, but Bucky's voice was the only one that cut through, "Have a little faith in her." You turned towards him, wanting nothing else but to run out of the room. But he once again sent you an encouraging nod, and you knew you had something to prove here. If not to yourself, then to him. He had shown you the utmost faith, and you couldn't fail him.

"Um. Miss Carter, what had you done earlier that day?"

"I got up," she drawled, eyes glistening slightly. "Got a latte, went to the gym, got a perm and then came home." Huh!