Chapter 5: Confronting A Monster

The electric hum of the train engine filled the car as gentle vibrations rolled along the metallic floor panels. Greenery sped by the large plate glass windows as Sonya unenthusiastically watched from a padded bench seat. Gently kicking her feet back and forth, the girl clicked her tongue out of boredom. The train had very few students onboard due to it being the last run prior to the starting bell on the first day of school. She had intended on arriving earlier, but woke up later than expected due to reading a certain book provided by an idiot weasel. Finding herself seething at the idea that the author might be a somewhat decent writer, she slammed her heels into the base of her seat.

Luckily, the train ride lasted about five minutes each way and ran every fifteen minutes, so she didn't have to worry about missing school. For as much as she disliked going, she abhorred the idea of teachers contacting her home. If she was going to get in trouble, she absolutely wanted to be expelled with no chance of going back. That would be perfect, she thought as she watched a blackbird fly amongst the passing trees. The whirring of electric motors cut her introspection short as linear magnets brought the car to a delayed stop. Donning a bright pink backpack, she pushed her pigtails behind her shoulders and locked her face into a dour expression as she alighted the train. Slowing her pace to ensure that she was alone, Sonya followed the pathway just like she had the previous week. With no one to speak to, her internal voice would often make observations from within her head that she had no intention of sharing.

This island sure is ugly...

She thought, as each footstep felt heavier than the last.

This place was far different from her home on the mainland and she found herself pushing back melancholic memories while her expression grew darker. It would be just another pointless day with a bunch of idiots, she predicted. Yet, as if summoned by her sour mood, she saw a group standing near the pathway to the girls dormitory. Sonya instinctively crossed the pathway to put the maximum distance between herself and the students who were becoming increasingly vocal. As she shot angry looks in their general direction, she noticed two of the girls from her class.

It's those two idiots... Wait... that's whatsherface! That weasel's sister... that means...

Her thoughts were running rampant as ice filled her veins. Ken was the last person that she wanted to see today. His avid attempts to entertain her last Friday only made her angrier as she recalled the night. Why had she been so candid? She had her reasons for wanting to stay away from home that night, but he didn't even try to pry information out of her, she pondered. It was then that she laid eyes on the boy in question and hastily avoided making eye contact as she sped up her steps. Within minutes, she had successfully passed them with no interaction. Exhaling sharply through her nose, Sonya wondered why the group was standing around when classes were soon to start. Pulling her phone from her pocket, she thought to double check the time as she crossed the front gate to the campus. Yet, she slowly put the phone back without looking.

So what if they are late... I don't care.

The words crossed her mind as the school bell began to ring and Sonya went to take some books from her locker before heading to homeroom. Upon entering the classroom, the sounds of chatting kids deafened as she made her way to a wooden school desk at the back of the room. Sonya scowled at the change in volume as she walked. She assumed that the others were either talking about her or too afraid to speak with her around and a small pang of sadness rose in her chest. Hastily pushing that feeling aside, her first reaction was to yell at her classmates. However, the second bell interrupted her anger as her teacher Miss Rose strode into the room followed by both Lyra and Stella who were visibly out of breath. Lyra straightened her back and called out to the teacher in a loud voice.