Chapter 13: Let's Play Together!

A few days passed before normalcy returned to the student council room and Mary forgave her underclassmen for their transgressions. Coincidentally, her forgiveness occured at the same time that a rumor began spreading around the school regarding a plastic frog leaving a certain first year girl in tears. Yet, as with most rumors, the passage of time made it fade into the background as midterms came and went and soon there was less than a month left before summer vacation. However, Ken and Sonya paid the impending break no mind and continued to work diligently on writing club activities.

This dedication to their club led to another seemingly uneventful Friday afternoon and Ken's attempt to make small talk.

"Wow, we are almost halfway through the book... I can't believe it."

Parsing over the edits, Ken flexed his shoulders and craned his neck from side to side before turning to Sonya. Not lifting her sight from the page in her hands, she nonchalantly replied.

"Duh. That's because it's been quieter in here lately."

Her words swelled in the silence of the room as Ken recalled that a mischievous little sister and her shadowlike friend were absent once again. This had become a common occurrence in the last few days and Ken felt that his dutifulness might be questioned if he didn't address it soon.

"I guess you're right. Where are Lyra and Stella, anyway?"

Seeing that Ken intended to make actual conversation, Sonya lowered her paper and anchored her emerald eyes on her target while making a disinterested scowl.

"Huh? Well they tried writing and Lyra said she fainted from boredom."

"Hmm... That's actually not too surprising. She's never been one to sit still for long... Are they going to leave the club?"

"What!? No! They decided to do a... picture book instead."

Ken's suggestion made Sonya fidget in her seat and her response sounded more like a reassurance to herself. Continuing nonetheless, her hand lowered beneath the table and after rummaging through her backpack, produced a crude stack of drawings. Taking the illustrations, Ken's eyes narrowed in confusion.

"What... is this..."

"Stella drew it and Lyra wrote the descriptions. These are the results of all their research."

Just as Sonya described, the picture appeared to be drawings of various desserts with ice cream as the motif. Under each image was a simple rhyme that explained the dessert followed by a star rating. Flipping through the pages, his honest thoughts slipped past his lips.

"This is... well... considering what Lucas tried to write for us, I guess this is fine."

Sonya's eyes seemed to stare heavily into the distance as she spoke in a weathered voice.

"I remember... when he asked me to read his short story, I thought it would be as good as one of his speeches."

Both students made a regretful grimace as they recalled the awkward memory of Lucas' first try at writing. The thought made Ken feel the need to apologize for his best friend's insult to his craft.

"Sorry about that. I'm sure it was funny in his head. Wasn't it... humpty dumpty from the viewpoint of the bird that laid him? I didn't feel bad when Mary yelled at him for avoiding his student council duties..."

"Hehe... yeah, that was what he said...and it was pretty terrible. But, I like Lyra and Stella's book. I think it's... cute."

Sonya's last word trailed off and piqued Ken's attention, causing him to hesitate. He did consider Sonya's choice of clothing to be rather cute and her use of emoticons while texting was definitely on the cute side. However, her personality and attitude were often polarized against such a concept. Was Sonya a cute person, he asked himself as he gave his reply.