Ruler Of Sea

Sierra Nicholas Clover  

A prince's life is what I must take, a prince's heart I must break, and a prince's soul I must devour. 

I need to win this competition among the flesh eating sea creatures, the mermaids, the merman, all in the sea to become the next Queen of the Sea. To become something more than what I am now than to be disposed of later. 

It has come to that year, as soon as the Queen of the Sea turns fifty, she will have to forfeit her throne to the worthy one, she is the mother of everyone and anything in the sea. She controls tides, waves, creatures, and the ocean bed itself too.

For this battle of the throne, there is no mercy, and only those who were given life through force by the Queen herself and her orders are noble of the throne.

I, Sierra Nicholas Clover, am one of the twenty four princesses and twelve princes of the sea who are worthy of the throne. I do not know most of my brothers and sisters, but I do know that I am for sure, indeed able to thrive for the throne.

"Sierra!" I hear someone call out for me outside my deep underwater room. It must be Giselle, she is a year younger than me, although not a blood relative of mine, she is a cousin, a friend, and a sister to me.

I look at myself one last time in the mirror... The mirror I stole from the men of lands who sailed the sea, the ship I and another competing for their soul had torn apart.

My scales were shining it's beautiful dark purple and blue as usual, my gold hair wavy and neat as usual. And my pink-purple eyes are as fierce as ever.

I smile, my fangs revealing itself, I swim out of my room, out of the dark under water I am in now, swimming in the outer sea.

I look around and my eyes meet Giselle's, she swims towards me in excitement, "I was looking for you!"

"What happened?" I ask her, holding her hand, but then a spark hits between us, hurting us. It is something that happens after not touching another's skin for a long time.

It will happen every time I skin contact with another creature until I am married and find a worthy one for myself.

"When do you set sail for lands?" She asks me, "Are you going to leave me behind?" She asks.

"No, of course not my lovely one!" I hug her, the spark hitting again, my body electrifying, I will get used to this soon, when I get on land, the sparks will stop.

"Do you not think it is too late to go out on sea now?" She asks, concern and worry written all over her face, if the Sea Queen saw her now with her feelings and emotions displayed so evidently... She would be lying on her deathbed, on her seaweed bed, turning into seafoam.

"I will go tomorrow, I have set everything, and gotten myself ready."

"You are not allowed to take anything with you." She tells me.

I smile, brushing her dark red hair behind her ear, "Do not worry, I am not taking anything with me of course. You are right though; all my sisters and brothers left the sea long ago to seek a prince or princess worthy."

A prince worthy?

A prince... I need to find someone and leave soon. I need my fins and all for travel, what if none comes once I go on land? This always haunted me. I have never been on land, no one is allowed until the year in which the Sea Queen turns fifty, and that year is this year. It is a month past till the end of the year. I only have eleven months left.

I need to leave soon.

I am too young, but all my brothers and sisters must be too.

I need to strive harder.

I look back at Giselle, her eyes as green as ever, we have friendship, love. Although a forbidden word to love, we hold it close to our hearts.

It is forbidden to care for love like humans. Like those who slash and murder our sirens and creatures.

We are awful creatures; we are monstrous and evil. We are made to seduce and kill. We are the true bloodlines of Malianza. It is our job, our duty to seek souls who travel the ocean and present it to the Queen for every year of our own birthday until she is fifty.

I am eighteen, will turn nineteen soon enough.

Friendship and kinship taught to be foreign as land. Loyalty reserved only for the Sea Queen.

"What is wrong with you? You're thinking too much," Giselle laughs, "You look absolutely soul-less" She says as she curls her hair with her fingers.

"Never," I say, "I've devoured eighteen souls."

"That too only the best." She says.

I smirk, my lips curling to the left, "Of course." I dare.

After all, I am a siren who only chooses to devour and seduce the best. All the blood, the soul were only tasteful, more delicious than sailors and the fish that explore our ocean.

Princes of the sea who travelled on cherish able journey's for their people, they were mine. I always aim for them every year on my birthday. I only devour royalty. Princesses and the prince. Never fancied the Kings and Queens, those old rags. I have never had much use for them at all either.

It is the youthful ones full of determination, courage and youth that allure me. That is why I look ever so gorgeous and young as I am now. All merman and sea creatures desire to be my fate. That too, the reason why my Queen is keen on me becoming the next heir to the throne. The throne and the holder of the trident.

I must get started on my journey soon. Very, very soon before it is too late. And I assure myself and Giselle, that I will become the next Sea Queen. And I will carry on the traditions of Malianza.

Unfortunately for Giselle, she is not one worthy of the throne. It is my reason and desire which Giselle still lives today even though her mother was once a traitor. I forbade the Sea Queen; I took every punishment possible.

I look down at my hand, at the hand that carries sets of dark metallic rings, one snaking over my middle finger, one with a circular snowflake-like design, and one with a torn heart with a Christ on it...