Chapter 22

Another chapter for this week :)

Chapter 22

I clumsily got to my feet, almost tripping on the rubble as I made my way towards them. There was a thick curtain of dust but my gaze never left Rocco. He stepped towards me as well, his face a mix of thousands of emotions. My steps faltered until I stopped several paces away from Rocco. I just stared at him, not saying a word, and he looked back at me steadily.

"How?" I managed to choke out. My voice cracked and I swallowed through the thickness in my throat.

"He missed my heart," Rocco shrugged, chuckling nervously. His laugh faded away when I didn't join him.

"I—" I stopped with a gasp, struggling to press down the sob building up in my chest. I didn't want Rocco to see me crying after those weeks of whatever he had been through. Those weeks when I had thought he was dead.

With a stifled cry I ran towards him, picking my way carefully through the debris. He enveloped me in his strong arms, his warmth immediately chasing away all those days of anxiety and fear. I sobbed freely into his arms, clutching tightly at him.

"I can't believe it," I whispered, repeating it several times. I held onto him, afraid that he would disappear if I let go. After a short while Rocco gently pushed me away from him.

"We need to go," he said, wiping away my tears with his big hands. Smiling widely at him, I nodded vigorously.

I turned to Killian, hugging him tightly once before following him down the corridor. I looked down to see numbers of guards knocked out on the floor.

"I have to say I was glad for the barrier around the room," Killian commented, "Without it Rocco and I would have been blasted to pieces."

"Don't say that," I chastised, suppressing a grin.

"I almost forgot," Killian said, reaching towards his belt. He pulled out a pair of familiar looking daggers. "These are yours."

I took my daggers from him, the red and blue gem winking in the dim light. My fingers wrapped around the hilt and it felt as if the blade was an extension of my arm, created only for me. Killian handed me a belt as well so that I could sheath my daggers when needed.

We stalked through the dark corridors, keeping close to the wall. We couldn't be sure if others in the castle had been warned of my escape so we had to get out of here as soon as possible. Killian led us to where I had been transported to the bottom of the tower before and we gathered around.

"How does this thing work anyway?" I asked.

"It's a portal," Rocco answered, grinning in excitement. I could tell his love for the thrill of danger hasn't diminished.

"Here we go," Killian said and then without even a single muttered word, the corridor around me blended away and I was now standing on grass.

"I thought you had to say something," I said, mystified.

"Only if your control over magic is weak," Killian explained, heading towards the outer gate, the direct opposite of the looming palace.

"Wait," I called, planting my feet in the ground. My hands were already starting to be clammy just at the thought of what I was going to do.

Rocco studied me for a while then started towards me. "No Aviara. You can't—"

"I have to," I interrupted, "I know the ring is in there. I can't leave knowing that." The two of them stared at me with a mix of horror and understanding. Killian let out a frustrated groan.