34

"What if he was just returning the favour? Making us even so he doesn't have to speak to me again?" Fiddling with the thin orange hair tie around my wrist, I watched Molly from my seat on her bed. 

"I mean, it's possible. But I doubt it. Have you ever seen the way he looks at you? If he was leading you on, then surely he would've tried to get more out of it." I blinked at her, heart sinking. "Not that I'm doubting your dick sucking skills! I just mean if he had an angle, he wouldn't have purposely tried upset you without benefitting himself, if that makes sense? Like, I'm sure if he tried hard enough he could've...done more stuff with you?" Her cheeks were red, and I almost wanted to laugh. Molly never blushes.

I sniffled. I understood what she meant. Doesn't mean I liked it, though.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Evan." She crossed the room, plopping on to the bed next to me and wrapping me in a hug. "I bet you're the best dick sucker he's ever met." I choked on a laugh, a few tears escaping as I hugged her back.

"Um," I untangled myself from the embrace and faced Molly properly. "So if you don't think it was a tit-for-tat situation, what do you think?" I watched as she pushed her glasses into her hair before answering me.

"I'm not sure. I mean, the guy clearly likes you." My breath caught in my throat. "Wha- Evan. You had to know that?" I shook my head.

"I did- I mean, I thought about it, but I thought it was just in my head. For real? You think he likes me?"

"Girl, I know he does. Everyone knows he does. Well, maybe apart from you. I think what happened on the camping trip was real. The chemistry and tension, all of it. I don't know why he acted like that after...you spent the night together. Or why he acted like that in the car. Maybe he's got something going on. Not that there's an excuse for treating anyone like that. You need to speak to him, Evan. Just ask him how he feels, or what he's thinking, or anything. But you two need to talk."

I huffed. She's right. Even if just the thought of approaching Seeley makes me sweat like a sinner in church, she's right.

"Anyway, moving on." Molly said, rising from the bed and approaching her chest of drawers. With her back to me, she pulled out a fluffy green towel and turned to face me. "I'm going for a shower, because I feel gross. You stayin'?" I shook my head and got off the bed aswell.

"Nah, I better go home. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out what to say to you-know-who tomorrow. If I'm lucky." As I spoke I gathered my jacket and bag from the chair by her desk, and as I passed her, drawing Molly into a side hug. "I'm so grateful for you, you know that?" I caught her eye as I pulled away, and noticed the tears welling. I wasn't going to push it. Not now.

Squeezing her arm silently, I moved past her and left the bedroom, heading downstairs to put my shoes on. Low voices caught my attention as I laced them up. Straightening up, my hand rested on the handle of the back door as the voices got closer.

"No, Marie. Ha! At this point, I couldn't care less about what you want. And why should I? Why should I be considering you and your feelings, when you've only ever thought about your own? I don't care. I don't care. You tell them whatever you what." The sound of the fridge opening in the kitchen brought me back. Opening the door as quietly as I could, I slipped out into the back street before closing it behind me.

I didn't bother with earphones as I pulled on my jacket, thinking. That voice was unmistakably Molly's Dad's. But who on earth was he talking to? It was awful of me to eavesdrop, but at the same time, I couldn't help it. Her Mum is away on a business trip in Greece, and has been for the past few weeks. So, who is Marie?

Buzzing from my pocket drew me from my nosy thoughts, the screen lit up with an unfamiliar number. My heart stuck in my throat. I rubbed my palms down the front of my top as they grew clammy with fear. Surely not. It couldn't be. The phone stopped ringing, and I drew in a ragged breath.

Be logical, Evan. It can't be him.

The screen lit up again, the same number appearing. Bile rose in my stomach.

This is ridiculous, I can't be afraid of every single unknown number that calls me.

I bit the bullet.

Bringing the phone to my ear as I swiped the answer button, I swallowed hard.

"H-hello?"

"I need your help." I pulled the device away from my face to stare at it, before bringing it back up.

"Jared?"