Chapter 11-A Favor Paid

Madame Isolde left us alone after her declaration of my grandmother's scheming ways. Silently, I drink my tea down to the very dregs, then I grab the bowl of water and cloth near my feet. Roughly, I wipe away the sand and dirt from my skin, all the while Ares watches as he sips from his cup.

"Given the situation I'd like to pay that favor while there is no one to see," I utter, standing up and placing the bowl and cloth on the counter.

Turning around, I place my hands on the wood and lean back with my ankles crossed. The long locks of my hair trail down my back, hiding the scarred skin long turned to brown scales. Ares jolts his head up at my statement. The confusion from earlier is quickly replaced by his usual arrogant contemplation.

Assessing eyes roam up and down my frame, taking in my dress still speckled with sand. The salt drying in my hair, the dirt underneath my ragged nails, and the patches of scales on my shoulders. Those scales are what catches his attention most.

Without a word he stands up, and walks on silent feet towards me. I swallow thickly when he stops, barely inches away and leaving me little space to breath freely. His pointer finger trails up my right arm, his nail scraping through the dried salt. Only stopping when it reaches the hard scales of my shoulder.

Back and forth, he traces his finger across the flakes of brown, gold, and copper. As if admiring the way the scales stand out against my pale skin. Goosebumps erupt up my arms, and my breath catches in my throat when he lays his other hand on my left shoulder. "Beautiful," he whispers, running his finger over each drab scale. "Utterly gorgeous treasure."

My face grows hot from those three words. My skin turning red like a sunburn, as he peers into my eyes. Again, I wrap a hand round my necklace. Slowly rubbing my thumb against the smooth bits of amber. I bite my cheek, and breath in through my nose. Unbiddenly, his scent of musk, salt, and now tangy herbs fills my nose.

"Just get it over with," I say, my voice trembling as the sounds of people walking by, pass through the thin hut walls.

Unwittingly, my head dips towards the floor. Away from his gaze that seems to lay me bare. Gently, I feel his hand cup my chin and pull it up with his fingers. Forcing me to look at him, to look at his face gone stone cold, yet unnervingly serious. "As you wish, darling treasure," he whispers, his breath fluttering against my skin as he draws close.

I forget to breath when his lips touch mine. Chapped lips still dusted with the tang of salt, soft lips that reignite the heat in my lower belly from before. Gentle lips, softly pressing against mine while his hands slide down to my waist and pull me flush against his chest.

My legs go weak, and I find myself clinging to his leather vest still damp from the sea. I close my eyes, as he glides his lips over every inch of my mouth. As if savoring, exploring, even claiming the delicate flesh. Each caress has my mind going hazy, my limbs heavy, and my skin hot and suffocating.

A need to rip off my dress flows into my mind. It's that single thought that pulls me back to reality, a cold harsh reality. I force my mouth away from his, quickly pressing my hands against his chest and shoving him firmly back. Brought away from his seductive touch, I notice that I'm breathing heavily, and so is he.

Our chests rise and fall in tandem, and when I look into his eyes I find them unnerving. His pupils are wide, the black hue almost overrunning the usual bright green shade. I wouldn't doubt that mine are the same. I can sense his need, and shockingly I smell some coming of my own skin. "I have to go," I mutter, quickly slipping out of his now boneless hold and rushing out the door.

"Well that didn't take long," Isolde abruptly says, spooking me so much that I turn around with my fists raised to fight. "Now child is that anyway to greet your Elder?" Her eyes twinkle with mischief, her thin gray brow raised in a silent question.

"No it's not Madame," I reply, quickly placing my hands at my sides.

"Good," she says, nodding her head as she leans down to pick up a leaf wrapped parsel by her feet.
"Now be a dear a take this to Elder Dominique. I believe she will find this helpful."

I nod, and take the package gently from her hand. Softly pressing it against my chest, I descend the stairs and head to the village. By my own secret route of course.