✿ NINE

[ JULY 4th, 2020 ]
FIVE DAYS LATER

ATHENA & JJ:
ON FIGURE EIGHT

Athena's grandmother had some sort of thing for work the next two days

Athena's grandmother had some sort of thing for work the next two days. Or at least that's what she said. And had been saying for the past two weeks now. She had cameras installed outside along the perimeter of the house for this very occasion. Typical kook waste of money. It set her back hundreds of dollars, but Athena wasn't even sure if made half of a dent in her bank account. She was acting like she hadn't even noticed.

But what her grandmother didn't know could never hurt her.

As soon as her personal driver had driven his way off the never-ending property, all Athena had to do was pull the plug on the Wi-Fi router.

Without the Wi-Fi, the camera's wouldn't retain any of the footage it caught, and wouldn't be able to connect to her grandma's phone until the router was up and running again. It was the perfect plan, despite the fact that Athena wouldn't have access to Wi-Fi for the next two days. Regardless, this was perfectly hatched and planned. Good thing she had a good cell service plan!

"JJ!" Athena smiled, out of breath, the doorknob still in her palm. "Hey, come in." She shut the door behind them, locking it and turned to face him with her back pressed against the wooden frame.

JJ slipped his shoes off out of respect and then straightened himself without a word. He looked at Athena longingly and bit down heavy on his lip.

The air conditioning had been on blast all day. Athena was unsure of how to turn it down. She was wearing sweat-shorts and a pair of basketball socks, along with a zip-up RonJon hoodie and a cropped tank top underneath. Her beaded necklaces were wrapped around her neck as always, but her rings were off, revealing the subtle tan lines on her fingers. Her Pura Vida bracelets were still stacked on her wrists. Her hair was down, it didn't look clean or brushed, but it still looked great. She'd cut it, JJ noticed. It used to be long, down to almost her butt, but now it was up to about her chin, falling in messy waves to frame her face perfectly. Her bangs swooped above her eyebrows neatly. They seemed to be the only part of her hair she ever took the time to do.

The big slab of gauze that was wrapped around her leg yesterday was off now, revealing the big slice of a cut down her thigh. JJ eyed it for several seconds, one eyebrow cocked. He wanted to reach out and touch, to trace the jagged line and stitches lining his girl, but he didn't, only because he knew it would probably hurt her excessively.

JJ was sweaty from his walk over. It was sunny and the hot air had pricked his skin. As soon as he stepped foot in the house, a chill was sent down his spine, forcing him to instantly wish for the heat back. His hair was visibly damp, along with his face and arms. His legs, which were previously encased in his every-day-footwear, were bare now beside his mid-length socks, one longer than the other. He had on a long sleeve Billabong tee-shirt and his backpack was slung over one shoulder. An RSQ hat rested in his hands. It reeked of body order and mildew. JJ smelt like deodorant and his only cologne, along with weed and sweat. Desperation and solemnity lined his face.