~ Part 1 ~

Dragon ~ Part 1

Words: 1505

Dan's POV*

They told me there were four of us ... but I wasn't so sure.

The supernatural community is growing ever wider and every year the council calls in a meeting. The council are a group of people in charge of the supernatural community - kind of like a government in the human world. I looked out for them every time but I hadn't come across them. They're never easy to find though, I can tell because I am one of them. We have no scent and we look just like every one else. The only way to tell is if you get a glimpse of our tattoo.

I'm being a bit vague. You see, I am what they call a 'Dragon Shifter'. Sure, there are Werewolves and other shifters, but you could say we are a rare and possibly superior race ... but because we're so rare there aren't many left ... just four - well that's what I was told. Sometimes, when I asked the council, I thought they were all lying. I am a Black Dragon Shifter. Apparently there were three other colours - Blue, Green and White.

Only the council members know about me. Many people thought I didn't even exist - I was just a myth. Since I have no scent and look like every other human, the supernaturals would give me wary looks. They can't risk a human finding out about them, but I just had to flash my golden eyes and they'd know I'm a supernatural of some kind even if they didn't know what.

It's better if they didn't know what I was - I'm rare and, if I let it out, my aura would have an alpha werewolf and vampire royalty submitting. I'm only twenty, I didn't want any responsibility so soon so I was laying low, but still seeking out the others. I asked the council many times who the other dragon shifters were but they refused to give me any information because these clients were confidential and the council had sworn to keep them secret even from other Dragon Shifters like me.

I used to wonder if they were looking for me too, if the council had told them that there was another shifter out there. I didn't know if they were all together or split up but I was definitely alone, no parents. They died when I turned thirteen, not much I could do. The council took me in because I was such a rare thing, and raised me to be a council member. I'm not a leader but one step down from it. Some people know who I am but if they don't, I tend to stay quiet - I don't like questions.

My carer is a man called James - he trained me and made me into the man I am today. He was my father figure and one of the leaders. If people did recognise me then it was usually because they knew I was his son, not because of my power. However, even he wouldn't tell me who the other shifters were and said that I'd find out someday - which really pissed me off.

I was near the far right of the stage at an important council meeting. I watched from the side as James and the other members took their seats whilst Alpha's, Monarchy and Leaders of Covens, Packs and Groups quietened down in respect. I didn't listen to what the council leader's had to say, I had heard it many times.

My eyes scanned the crowd, picking out scents and eye colours. The main thing I looked out for was a tattoo. It was the mark of the dragon on the back of our shoulder. Mine is black because I am a Black Flame dragon, so I looked out for different coloured tattoos. I sighed as I scanned the last bit of the crowd, annoyed when I saw no one new.

I couldn't be bothered to listen to the rest of the meeting so decided to leave. I went out the back door and stared out at the vast open space of grass in front of me. The sun was descending, casting an amber glow along the horizon which sculpted the shape of the mountains. I took a running start until I was at top speed.

As I reached the edge of the forest I spread my arms and shifted mid jump. I turned into my large black dragon and used my talons to push off the ground and into the air. I spread my large black wings and caught the wind between them. I let out a sigh, happy at being able to stretch my body out and be free above the trees.

I flew for at least an hour, taking in the scenery. Out of happiness I blew my black fire into a smiley face cross the sky. I did a loop the loop and swooped low above the trees, my claws just skimming the leaves and branches. Then, I gained momentum and flew to the peak of the nearest mountain.

As I went to dive down the face, a loud roar filled the sky and made me stop dead in my tracks. I hovered over the rocky surface before landing and shifting back into human form. I got as close to the edge as possible and let my eyes scan the forest beneath me for the source of the noise. I listened intently for it, my hearing not missing anything for a hundred mile radius. Then, there it was again. Two roars. A flock of birds fled from the tree tops not far into the forest and I immediately knew something was going on.

I shifted into my dragon, dove to the ground and shifted again once I reached the trees. I ran through them but soon realised I wouldn't get there quick enough because of the all the trees I had to dodge. I had learned this little trick that comes with being a Black Dragon. Each colour has different powers, mine is being able to dissolve into black smoke and hide in the darkness. I could literally become a shadow and slip away.

I focused hard and slowly my body began to dissolve into wispy black smoke. Soon enough I was just particles in the air and used the wind to fly through the trees at a rapid pace. As the growls and roars got louder, so did the cracks and snaps of nearby nature being damaged.

Eventually I arrived at the scene and shifted back into my human form, hiding behind a tree. What I saw made my eyes grow wide in disbelief. I watched as two dragons battled each other, one blue and one white. At the side, a boy with emerald eyes and curly brown hair laughed and pointed as the two dragons tumbled to the ground in a heap, nipping at each other's necks.

"You two are ridiculous! It was only a game!" Emerald eyes shouted, making an annoyed huff escape the white dragon's mouth. I couldn't believe it, they had to be dragon shifters. A quick glance at the boy at the side confirmed my suspicion when I saw the head of a green dragon tattoo on his back, peaking out the top of his shirt. I stayed back and watched from a distance as, eventually, the two dragons tired out and slumped in exhaustion. They transformed into two boys who groaned and glared at each other.

The Blue dragon was quite a tall boy with black hair and bright azure eyes. His skin was pale and he was quite slim. His shoulders were broad and he had a little muscle in his arms. All in all he was quite mesmerising and I had a hard time tearing my gaze from his handsome face.

The other boy was a little taller and had chestnut coloured hair, cut in a similar way to mine. His eyes were glowing a stormy silver as he looked pissed off at the blue eyed boy. He was also slim and a bit skinnier than blue eyes.

"Thanks to you, we've now missed the meeting!" The blue eyed boy growled.

"Pfft, it is NOT all my fault!" He defended.

"Just because you lost the game!" Blue eyes taunted.

"You accepted the challenge!" Silver eyes retorted. They continued to bicker whilst the emerald eyed boy just rolled his eyes.

"Guys, really! The meeting isn't over yet, there's still a good hour that we could catch if we are quick!" He reasoned. Blue and silver eyes sighed and walked towards him.

"We'd better hurry then." Blue eyes confirmed. I didn't know what to say, or what to do. I decided I'd try get back to the meeting quickly so I could be there before them and then ask James about it. I took a step back and cringed when a twig snapped beneath my foot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~HelloAnonymousWriter~