16 | girl in the mirror

#nowplaying

= 知足 (contentment) - Mayday =

🔥🔥🔥

"But I have a husband."

Myungho froze just as he was about to sip on his soup. His downcast eyes could easily pierce through the table. "How long has it been?" He asked in disappointment, no longer sipping on the soup.

I began counting with my fingers. "About... 10 months?"

He grew more and more despondent during our conversation that I lost him at some point. "Hey?" I waved into his face.

"He must be one lucky guy," he muttered softly but audibly. I did my best to control my expression. It was not the time to let my feelings show.

The rest of our dinner was filled with Myungho's depressive sighs and unmotivated conversations. It seemed as if his mind had departed elsewhere. After I paid, we got out of the restaurant and agreed on a stroll to walk off our dinner.

But it felt like I was walking with a man with depression.

"Okay that's it." I confronted Myungho, coming face to face with him. I couldn't take his downcast anymore. "You've been so distracted since I told you I have a husband. Does it bother you that much?"

He didn't agree nor deny.

"Why?" I probed. "We can't be friends anymore if I'm married?"

I honestly don't know why I said that. I myself was confused because I didn't know how to define our relationship.

Myungho kept his eyes on the ground. "I imagined this a hundred times, and I still don't know what to do."

"You don't have to do anything," I told him adamantly.

His eyes went from my hands to my eyes. "Where's your ring?" He wondered.

Feeling flustered, the first thing I did was hide my hands behind my back. Wrong move though, I could have simply said that I left the ring at home.

"Where's your husband?" His gaze on me intensified. There was desperation in his eyes, yearning for the truth.

"W-Why do you care?" I asked back. I was beginning to lose my ground.

He reached for my hands behind me and drew them out to prove that I had no ring on. "Where's the ring, Yujin?" He held firmly onto my wrists.

"I just didn't wear it. Now let go," I said, but the truth is I wasn't really struggling. He didn't forcefully grab me the way Namsan jerk did, so if I wanted to break away from his grip, I could have.

"You're lying, aren't you?"

I clenched my jaw and challenged his piercing gaze.

Yes, I'm obviously lying.

"How long are you going to hold me like this?" I gritted my teeth, trying to act furiously.

"Not until you tell me the truth," he insisted. "A truth that I can believe. You never even told me his name." I had never seen him this desperate before.

Silence filled the air as I debated how much of the truth I should reveal. "His name is Dash, Asian blood like us but born in Canada. We're the same age. Do you want a picture too?" I exhaled a big breath.

This much was enough to discourage him. Myungho finally let go of me and took a big step back. "I see." With shoulders hanging low, he couldn't meet my eyes anymore.