Sweden

The third period came to an end and the USA had yet to score another goal: "2:49 remaining in the game. Sweden leading two-one. The US team has fought hard, but they've still got nothing to show for it."

"If they don't beat or tie the Swedes, it'll be very difficult to advance to the medal round.", Ken Dryden explained: "McClanahan after the loose puck. He's hit hard by Sederstrom."

"Go, go, go, Mac.", the guys cheered from the bench.

Craig added to it: "Come on, Mac."

"McClanahan gutting it out despite being injured in the first period.", Dryden commented: "Silk to Johnson. Back to Silk. Through the neutral zone."

Bakes sat next to Carly on the bench: "Attaboy, Mac. Keep going."

"Dumped into the Swedish zone and stopped behind the net by Lindbergh. Johnson fighting Eriksson for it now. It comes out to Waltin. He's hit hard by McClanahan.", Mac levelled the guy into the boards

"All right, Mac.", Rizzo encouraged him from the bench.

Craig leaned down to Bakes: "Baker, you're up next. The right side."

"The Swedes regain control behind their own net, 1:40 remaining in the game.", the commentators commented.

"Coneheads, you're up next.", Herb shouted.

"Mats Waltin moving it out to Jan Eriksson. Jan Eriksson out to Hakan Eriksson. Across the US blue line.", Ken Dryden explained.

"Take it back, boys!", Herb instructed.

"Into the corner. He circles. Passes across to Ahlberg. Wrist shot. Knocked out of the air by Craig. Puck picked up by Suter, moved ahead to Johnson.", the game continued.

Herb the ordered a line change: "Switch them up. Go, go, go!"

"Johnson heads to the bench with just over a minute and a half left.", they called: "Precious seconds ticking away for this US team."

"What are you doing with Bakes out there?", Herb noticed that Baker wasn't in his usual spot.

Craig argued back: "1:20, Herb."

"Herb Brooks has molded this unit. Seven months of training, 61 games. Just a little over a minute left to avoid a very damaging loss. Ahlberg up the wing to Hkan Eriksson. Stopped by Craig. Rebound picked up by Schneider. Schneider flying up the wing, over the blue line and into the corner.", Ken Dryden explained.

"Jimmy, come on now!", Herb called out to the goalie who started a sprint.

"Brooks is pulling goalie Jim Craig for an extra skater to try to tie it.", Al Michaels continued.

"They have no choice, Al.", Dryden argued.

"45 seconds left.", Al Michaels called out: "Sweden leading the US team two to one. Across to Silk. He moves in. His backhander is stopped by Lindbergh. Thirty-nine seconds remaining. Schneider to Ramsey, across to Baker. He wraps it around the boards. Harrington fighting for the puck with Nslund. Back to Ramsey. To Johnson in front. Broken up by Holmgren. Kept in by Baker and fired behind the net."

The tension in the rink was unbearable at this point.

"Loose puck.", they commented: "Schneider and Waltin fighting for it. Schneider holds him off. Kicks it loose. Pavelich has it. He makes a move around Hkan Eriksson, passes across to Baker. He scores!"

"The United States has tied it. Bill Baker scores in the final minute. And the US team is still very much alive in the opening round.", the commentaor yelled in ecstasy.

"It was a hell of a move.", Herb shook hands with Craig: "I didn't see him out there."

Things were getting more heated and day after day more reporters started crowding around the Olympic Village.

"I'm Jim McKay, and we're back again live in Lake Placid, New York.", a reporter stood in front of the ice rink: "What an amazing start for these 13th Olympic Winter Games. After a remarkable last-minute tie against Sweden two nights ago, the US hockey team, huge underdogs, pulled off a tremendous upset last night, defeating Czechoslovakia, considered the second-best team behind the Soviet Union."

Herb and Walter were walking around Lake Placid: "The final score, seven to three. Why so many reporters?"

"Are you serious?", Walter asked: "We won two games. We got a way to go here. Think of what they've had to write about. Hostages, Afghanistan. Transportation chaos. Patti probably has talked to you about that."

Herb nodded.

"Listen, Herb, the bottom line is that your young guys just kicked the crap out of Czechoslovakia, and this is something that this country is ready for.", Walter stated: "Now, you want to see reporters? Win a couple more games."

Herb shook his head: "They are just kids, so let's not turn this into something more."

"I'm not sure we got any control over it.", Walter responded.

"Viktor.", Herb acknowledged the Russian Coach.

He just slightly nodded in return and led his team away.

"Somebody's gonna beat those guys.", Herb said once they were gone.

The next game was against Norway: "Buzz Schneider flying up the right wing. Takes a long pass from Ramsey. He's all alone on the breakaway. He shoots. He scores."

"Buzz Schneider on a breakaway puts the US up five to one in the third period. ", the commentators explained.

That night, Herb had another press conference: "Now that Norway is behind you, what do you look for out of Romania?"

"It should be a tough test. We're not gonna overlook them.", Herb responded.

"Mike.", someone called the reporter up again.

"Jimmy Craig's been great. Is there any chance we could talk to him?", the reporter asked again.

Herb stayed calm while answering his question: "As I said the other night, Mike, this isn't an individual effort going on here. It's about a team. We're a team on the ice, and we're one off it. "