The Miracle (3)

"We're back for the start of the third period. 20 minutes left in a game that's closer than most anyone anticipated. The teams were tied 2:2 after the first. And the Soviets are now leading 3:2. Al Michaels here at the Olympic Center with former Montreal Canadiens goalie Ken Dryden.", Mihaels introduced the third period.

The teams were skating around one last time before the final period would start: "The American team comes into this medal round unbeaten. The Soviets are also unbeaten, winning all five of their games, scoring goals in the process. The US, four wins and a tie against Sweden and a huge upset win over Czechoslovakia eight days ago. Herb Brooks' young team is trying to overcome enormous odds to beat the best team in the world tonight."

"USA! USA! USA!", the crowd chanted again.

Tehn Herb called his team together: "Boys! Come here! Bring it in."

When everyone was there he said: "Listen to them."

"USA! USA! USA!", the chants continued.

Herb looked at all of his players: "That's what you've done. We've come from behind in every game in this tournament so far, and we can do it again. We can beat these guys!"

"Come on, Herb. Get your guys to the face off.", the ref called out to him.

Herb gave him a look: "Everybody in. Come on, boys. Let's do this."

"Who do you play for?", he asked.

"USA!", the team roared.

The last period started: "As the third period begins, the crowd is chanting. Everyone on their feet. The Americans are winless against the Soviets since 1960. And since that day at Squaw Valley, it's been years since a US team has defeated the Soviets. The Soviets, of course, have been gold-medal winners in every Olympic Games since then. The top Soviet line is out there right now. Mikhailov at center. He's flanked by Petrov and Kharlamov. On defense, Kasatonov and Fetisov. And in net, Vladimir Myshkin."

"Face-off won by Johnson.", he declared: "Ramsey with the puck. Up to Johnson. Johnson. Wrist shot."

"Pick him up!", Herb yelled.

"Stopped by Myshkin. Puck is picked up by Kasatonov. To Mikhailov. Over to Kharlamov, who carries it into the US zone. Shot. Stick save by Jim Craig. Picked up in the corner by Krutov. Centering pass. Shot. Saved by Craig. Back to the point man for Kasatonov.", Michaels said as Kasatonov prepared for his shot: "Slap shot. Stopped. And again."

"Thataboy, Jimmy! We're on, baby! We're on!", the team praised their goalie.

AL Michaels kept commenting: "Christian with the puck now. And he goes down! And we've got a penalty coming up on the Soviets. Petrov going off for slashing."

"Coneheads! Let's go!", Herb sent Buzzy, Pav and Bah's line out: "Coneheads!"

"This is a big opportunity for the US. They haven't been able to goon the offense for quite some time now, and this is the chance.", Michaels explains.

"Soviet Union penalty to number 16.", it sounded through the stadium.

"Come on, boys. Let's take advantage of this now!", Herb instructed.

"O'Callahan moving it up.", they commented as OC raced forward with the puck: "Slips by Kharlamov."

"Set it up, boys! Set it up!", their Coach exclaimed.

Bah, Pav and OC were charging towards the Soviets net: "A long pass from Harrington. Harrington inside the Soviet blue line. Back to O'Callahan. Back to Harrington now. To Ramsey at the point. Over to Schneider. Shot!"