~•The Past•~

⚠️ Warning ⚠️
This chapter contains weapons, swearing, running away, and undertones of abuse

"Maxine, honey, why are you hiding from daddy? You know it'll only get you in bigger trouble~" My father said with a warning in his voice, tears poured from my eyes as I hid under my bed and prayed that he didn't find me. With my hands clasped over my mouth to stop me from making any noises, I closed my eyes and waited for father to get out of my room. I was needing to wait for him to leave before I could get outside with my belongings and run away.
I heard my father growl before storming out of my room and slamming the door behind him. I opened my eyes and waited for a minute to make sure the coast was clear.
I slid out from under the bed and used the back of my back to wipe the tears off of my face. I gathered myself before sneaking over to the closet, grabbing my backpack and clothing. I grabbed most of my other belongings and reached under the bed to grab my switchblade just in case I needed it.
I unlocked and opened my window. I threw my backpack out the window before lowering myself down to the ground. When my feet touched the floor, I closed the window and grabbed my backpack. I threw a backpack strap over one shoulder before running in the woods behind my house.
"FUCK! MAXINE!" I heard a yell from behind me in my bedroom but I didn't look back. I kept running, I'll keep running until I'm somewhere far away from that hellhole of a family. Maybe I could live in one of those cabins in the outskirts of town? Maybe, just maybe.

I woke up with a start, I groaned and put my hands on my face. I hate being reminded of the past, especially that part. I put my hands on my legs before looking over at the plush dove I had brought with me when I had ran away. I grabbed it and pet its soft fur. I looked up at the calendar and saw that tomorrow was Valentine's Day. I sighed and laid back down, hugging the dove. I had no control over the tears that fled my eyes. I just wished the reminders of the past stopped and I could live a normal life. After a few minutes of crying, I wiped my eyes and rose from bed, shivering from the cold. I walked slowly to the kitchen to make myself some food before I went out to grab some firewood to warm up the house a little. I grabbed cereal, a spoon, and a bowl. I poured the cereal in the bowl. I ate the cereal quickly, I was on the last bite when I heard a loud knock on the front door. I took the final bite of cereal before throwing the bowl and spoon into the sink to be cleaned later. I put on my black jacket before looking through the peephole on the door. The police? Why were the police at my door? I opened the door slowly and greeted them, "Hello? Do you guys need anything?" One of the two shook his head before saying, "We have been hearing rumors that the murders have been going back up recently. And we wanted to know if you've seen or heard anything at all recently." I thought about it before shaking my head. The guy nodded slowly before politely saying goodbye and walking away. The girl with him quickly followed behind him. They hopped in their car and drove off as soon as I shut my door and locked it. I sighed and whispered, "Well, fuck. One more thing to worry about..." I looked around my house cautiously then walked over to the living-room. I sat down on the couch, covering myself in warm, heavy blankets before I fell asleep again. My eyes fluttered open to see a shadowy figure in the corner of the house before my eyes shut closed and I fell asleep.