Chapter 2 - An Egg Filled Restaurant

The first thing that hit me about the place was the smell. No offense to this guy's breakfast recommendation but you can't enter this store without getting a whiff of eggs. Not that it was unpleasant but, it was still a tense atmosphere to enter into, after the events that had just occurred.

As we sat down to order, I noticed the man looking around as if even the store was new to him, and not just me. Which is strange, considering he's the one who recommended it. Either way, he seemed rarely observant in a way that only a few people are. Which could only mean one thing.

"Hey, just a question but- do you have your wallet?"

"Oh please, I highly doubt I wouldn't. After all, I'm supposed to pay so...", he trailed off as he emptied his pockets, only to find no wallet there at all.

"Well.... This is awkward."

"I can't deny that it isn't," I offered.

"Well, you know what, I'll just call one of my friends, I'm sure he can drop off some money and I can just pay him back later, so just order whatever you'd like-"

"Don't be ridiculous. I'll pay. It's not like I don't have the money."

He looks startled. "Are you sure? It's really not too much trouble-"

"Can I get your order?" the waiter interrupts.

"Yea I'll have one set of tamagoyaki and the soy tofu fried rice with the mixed vegetables. And he'll have the..." I look at the man, waiting for a response.

"Um, I'll have the omurice", he stammers

"With or without the fried rice?", the waiter inquires. 

"With the fried rice, thank you." I finish.

As the waiter walks away from our table, I assess the guy in front of me. Last time I checked, I hadn't had a meal since last night at around 8 PM, and considering how someone decided to take a long walk off a short pier into a river, he probably hadn't eaten anything for at least the same amount of time.

"Why are you looking at me like that?", he frowns.

"If I'm being honest, there is one thing that confuses me about what happened earlier. What's up with the whole double suicide thing? Do you just go around asking anyone if they'd like to die together with you?"