Chapter 13 - Hydrangea Pt. 2

I look away, embarrassed to see their reaction. Either way, it'll be mortifying. Personally, it'll be worse for Dazai and me if Ranpo-san was here, (that man could see through lies like a scientist looking through a magnifying glass), but if the truth's embarrassing enough.

Which is precisely why I got away with it so well.

"Wait...", Yosano-sensei begins, realization striking. "Dazai, the same guy who, the day before yesterday decided to try and eat dog food because 'Well, it's still food and at this point I might as well be a dog?' Osamu, decided to buy these for you!"

"Y-yes, " I admit self-consciously.

I'm about to leave to see where I'm supposed to be working at anyway, when Fukuzawa-kaichon decides to intervene.

"I think that's quite enough, all of you." he says in a stately manner. "I think that it's about time we formally welcome Sen-chan as a part of the team."

"She passed her test?", Atsushi inquired.

"Yes, quite easily too, if you ask me," Dazai smirked.

I send him a wordless glare. Oh boy, I exhale. Dazai Osamu, I swear I will make you pay for that.

"Anyway," Kunikida continues, "usually, we'd have a welcoming party or something along those lines, but unfortunately you still have a shift, later tonight."

"Excuse me," I stammer. "I have a what, in a what now?"

"I said", Kunikida-san repeated. "Unfortunately, despite the good news due to you still having a shift with the mafia tonight-"

"I have a shift with the mafia tonight." I confirm.

"Dazai", I say, shifting to face him. "Is today still the 27th of January?"

"Yep."

"Ok, great. I'm gonna need you to get me my flip phone. It's on my desk."

Dazai stands to leave the foyer. I feel a pang as I watch him go.

"Here", he says, handing it to me.

 "Thanks

"Thanks."

With a few quick taps, I open my most recent contact and put him on speaker.

"Oi Chuuya, I hate to break it to you, but I need you to cancel my shift for tonight."

The man on the other end of the phone sighs.

"Look, Ane-san. As much as I want to, the Boss is gonna get mad-"

"Well then, " I interrupt. "Then if it's any comfort, when the Boss decides to voice his concerns, you can tell him to go FUCK HIMSELF."

I hang up on him, closing the phone with a quick snap. I toss it onto the couch cushion next to me.

I sigh, feeling the frustration leave my body.

"Well would you look at that", I say flatly. "Guess who doesn't have a shift later tonight. Me. Hooray..."

I close my eyes and continue to rest my head on Dazai's shoulder. Or at least, I attempt to, before being interrupted by the sensation of his shoulders moving.

I turn to look at him.

"Are you laughing?", I ask incredulously

"Yes", he admits. With some difficulty, he manages to wipe a tear from his eye, and continues "You have no idea how many times I wanted to say that to Mori-san... It's so refreshing hearing someone finally speak their mind about how they truly feel about him."

"Right?", I say, mustering a smile.

With my head once again resting on his arm, I close my eyes, and feel a sense of peace. Finally, some results.

"You're pretty exhausted, aren't you Sen?"

I stifle a yawn.

"Am not."