19. knock knock

Nothing

For the first time, in his life, Shiva had no anger within him, no rage, no stupid comments, no negativity and nothing but a light smile and a finally lighter heart, having nothing but an optimistic approach, no regrets, no more backing off.

No more hiding.

The entire Pandya House was surprised to see Shiva not only cancel his last minute trip, but also help in the farewell party for Raavi, whole-heartedly. The party was to be held in the ground near their house, and since noon, Shiva had been both helping the others, and adding his inputs in making this evening one of the best for Raavi, because she was going to leave the next day and for all these years, Somnath city was blessed to have her with them.  

He was blessed to have her for these years.

"Arrey Dev, pink nahi," He shook his head, taking away the pink cartons of streamers from Dev's hands and passing him the green ones, "Raavi ko green pasand hai, aur ye lights nahi Kaka," He clicked his tongue, moving towards the neighbours who were helping them, "ye feeke hai, Somnath ki sabse khoobsurat ladki ke liye, sabse aache wale spotlights chahiye. We have an associate who has a store of lights and lamps, unse baat karke mera naam boldena." Dev looked at his brother, who was all over the place with his inputs and help. 

"Dev?" Dhara broke his trance by a hand over his shoulder, and Dev greeted her. "Su thayu?"

Dev smiled, shaking his head and pointed towards Shiva through his gaze, "Bhabhi, main ek hafta bahar kya tha, mera bhai toh bilkul badal sa gaya." He said, sighing, "Ye mere Shiva ko pyaar kab hua, pata hi nahi chala." 

"Dev, stop blaming yourself for whatever happened." Dhara held his arm, interlinking it, "and move on, and in a way whatever happened has been an eye-opener for all of us, especially for Shiva. Usse khud pata kaha tha ki woh Raavi se pyaar karta hai, hamesha se."

"Par kya Raavi karti hai?" Dev asked, meeting his bhabhi's soft gaze. He felt really disheartened on knowing that this was as one-sided as Raavi's love towards him was and really unfair on both of them, "main nahi chahta ki Shiva bhi Raavi ki tarah toot jaaye."

Dhara smiled at Dev, the salient and wise of the lot, "dekh tere bhai ko," they both looked at Shiva who was fixing streamers himself, "you think he looks like someone whose heart is broken?" 

That was true, Dev and the entire family members had no idea what happened upstairs at noon, but after that, Shiva was not Shiva anymore. He was a different person, someone who looked like a free man, like a lost kid when they finally meet their parents, or like a depressed man, finding happiness again.

He looked so hopeful.

"Chal, woh Rishita snacks ki taiyarri kar rahi hai," Dhara pouted and Dev chuckled, "dekh leti hu warna..."

And while Dev resumed back to the party, Shiva smiled, looking around the preparations that were happening and slumped his shoulders in relief. Raavi was going to be surely surprised and happy, after all, Raavi deserved to take back all the happiness from here.

While Shiva was a man in love, Raavi was a woman completely shell-shocked.

She walked back to her house in a daze, her mind had stopped working and Shiva's words kept echoing in the back of her mind like a broken tape. She ignored everyone in her house who asked her what was wrong and moved upstairs to her room, locking it behind her. 

What was happening to her?

Why?

Raavi sat down in the corner of her room, there was still so much to pack as her room lay messy but right now, she was messy herself with all these revelations and turmoil. She rested her head on the wall, eyes shut and heartbeats pacing, as she felt the emotions choking her. She gulped, wrapping her hands her knees and realised that she was in a soup.