Part 35 - Antoine and Maddies House, France

'Jace, Louis, Daniel' come on my sweets, it's time to go to kindergarten' Maddie called out.
'Kindergarten non!' Daniel said 'ma mere! Ma mere!' Maddie bent down to Daniels level, took the little boy and put him on her knee.
'Listen sweetie', she said 'I know you miss your mummy, but you'll see her again very soon!' Daniel wriggled away from Maddie and sat with his legs crossed and arms folded on the living room floor. It was clear that he wasn't going anywhere.

Just then Antoine walked into the room and Maddie looked up at her husband, pleading for help. Antoine walked around to where Daniel was sitting and crouched down.
'Daniel, would you like to come to work with me today?' He asked. Daniel just shook his head.
'I want to go with Dada' Jace called from the other side of the room.
'I want to see dead people' Louis added in.
'No boys, we're going to kindergarten, now put your shoes on' Maddie ushered the twins along. When Louis and Jace were sat happily in the hallway putting on their shoes, Maddie pulled her husband to one side.
'We're gonna have to keep him home again' she said, concerned.
'No sign of Odette?' Antoine asked her.
'No, I've just tried her phone again. I'm gonna check the flat again in a bit and see if there's any sign she's been back' Maddie replied, 'I just don't want Daniel to miss out on his education because of all this'.
'I know', Antoine placed a hand on his wifes shoulder, 'but we haven't been able to get him to do anything in days. He just wants his mum!'
'I know, poor thing' Maddie said, as she turned around and looked at Daniel. 'So I guess you're staying home with me again today.'
'Can I stay home too mummy?' Louis asked from the hallway.
'No, lets get you two to kindergarten, now run along and get in the car'. Before she left the house, Maddie turned to her husband, 'sweetie can you keep an eye on him until I get back?'
'Yeah sure' Antoine said, as Maddie shut the door behind her.

**
'Where is it?! Where's my tie?!' Antoine rushed around the living room, frustrated. He stopped and looked at the little boy who hadn't moved from his spot on the floor for the last half hour. 'Daniel, have you seen my tie?' All Daniel could do was shake his head, he hadn't been speaking either.

Just then, Antoine felt the vibration of his phone in his back pocket. He took it out and noticed his sisters name on the screen. Antoine answered the phone.
'Yes, Amelie!' he said, exhasperated, 'I can't talk for long, Maddies due back in a couple of minutes and then I have to leave for work. What time even is it there anyway?!'
'It's only about 10pm actually, but I thought I ought to give you a call, it's kinda urgent really...'
'Go on..' Antoine said.
'Well' Amelie began, 'you know that friend of yours and Maddies, Odette..'
Antoine interrupted her. 'There's a bit of a long story there actually', he said 'it's part of the reason that we've both been so busy lately'. Antoine left the living room and walked into the kitchen so that Daniel couldn't hear him. 'Well, you know the other night when we were talking and there was the whole drama around Odette dropping the wine...'
'Yes' Amelie interrupted her brother. She paused, as if she had just realised something. 'That was when I'd just mentioned Rory Gilmore'.
'Yes well', Antoine continued telling the story, clearly dismissing what his sister had just said. 'After that she took herself home and we haven't seen her for days' he whispered, not wanting Daniel to hear what he was saying. Amelie was clearly taken aback by this as she hesitated again for a moment.
'Antoine' she said, sounding serious, 'I need to tell you something'.
'What's that?' Antoine asked her.
'It's that woman Odette. You need to get away from her. You need to take Maddie and the twins and get away. I think she's really dangerous'. Antoine was shocked, what on earth was she talking about. The only word he could manage was 'what?!'
'Antoine' Amelie sounded more serious than he'd ever heard her sound before, 'Odette is a kidnapper. Daniel, he's not her son. His names really Dylan. I think Odette kidnapped him when he was a baby!' Antoine looked through the kitchen door at the little boy who still sat in the same spot in his living room. This couldn't possibly be true.
'Amelie,' he said, 'have you gone mad! This can't possibly be true!'
'Antoine, why would I be saying this if it wasn't true? I haven't managed to look it up yet, but go online and search for Rory Gilmore and then Odette Huntzberger and see if you believe me. Then, if you do, you have to get your family away from her!' Antoine was slightly frightened by this. Why would his sister be making this up about a woman she hardly knew?
'Amelie...' Antoine began, 'there's one thing I haven't told you yet...Odettes gone but she's left Daniel here with us'. But before Amelie could answer him, Antoine heard Maddie come in through the front door.
'Sweetie, I'm home! You can get to work now!'