Emilie: 24th May

This morning, rolling over and staring out of my bedroom window with the remembrance that I was now eighteen received a pang of melancholy. Soon I would be married, taken away from this view of the sea that I had cherished for years, and yet would never know what lay beyond.

I rose and went downstairs to find my cousins and aunt staring at a letter that had appeared on the doorstep that morning. I was to learn to my surprise that it was a correspondence from Father.

As I have never received anything from him, I was shocked. Every birthday had been and gone without a word, and yet now I had reached eighteen it seemed that he wished to contact me.

I wished to read the letter alone, so I went up to my room before prising it open with shaking fingers. The excitement and anticipation was too much to bear.

However, it seems my excitement was for nought, as Father only wrote to summon me to London. He was very brief and curt and didn't give me any details. When I showed the letter to Aunt Delilah, she was worried.

I sit here now, imagining what lies in wait for me in London, and I am filled with an inexplicable sense of hope. Like something new is beginning and excitement is just around the corner. I can't help but think this letter is due to last night's wish, but perhaps that's a fanciful thought.

Anyway, fingers crossed and off to London on the morrow!

Author's note: the chapters of this story are not equal, to echo the diary entry style. Therefore, some chapters are a lot shorter than others, as this one is. This is intentional.