Chapter 19

"There's only enough room on the trucks for one platoon of Easy, so Harry I want you and First in Uden with Nix and I."

"Hang on," Valerie interjected in disbelief, "you're taking Harry and Lew with you to Uden and leaving me here alone with second and third?"

"Yes Valerie," Dick sighed, glancing at her briefly, "do you think you can manage them?"

"Are you questioning my capabilities?" She asked acidly, raising an eyebrow at him and glaring darkly. Lew and Harry shared a look across the table, but otherwise remained silent.

"Oh for Pete's sake," Dick snapped, slamming his pencil down on the table, "you're the one who complained about being left here with second and third so don't turn this around on me."

"I'm just questioning why you get to take them both with you and I get dumped here alone," she grumbled, crossing her arms tightly across her chest.

"I don't have time for this," he growled, "you can think whatever the hell you like, but you'll be thinking it here. Now if you don't mind, we've got to get moving." He stormed out of the room without waiting for another reply. Valerie glared stonily at his retreating back, her fists clenched at her sides.

"Val...." Harry started, but she held up a hand and stopped him.

"I don't want to hear it," she warned, giving him a pointed stare, "I'll see you both in a few days." With that she marched out, her teeth grinding together roughly.

"Grant, Guarnere," she shouted as she marched into the square. She cleared her throat as the men came to stand in front of her, crossing her arms over her chest. "We're going to remain here in Veghel while first go with HQ company to Uden. I want patrols covering all main access routes into town, and lookouts in the church tower."

"You got it ma'am," Bill replied, giving her a quick salute and a wink before turning away and heading back into the group of Easy men, Grant not far behind him. She watched them go for a moment before glancing down the street at the men loading onto the trucks. Her gaze landed on Dick as he climbed into a jeep beside Lew, and her stomach churned with irritation. Her eyes narrowed, and as the jeep pulled away Dick's eyes met hers. He stared back at her for a beat, his jaw clenching as he turned away and sped off.

"I'm guessin' you didn't talk to him then?"

Valerie turned and met Gene's disapproving look. "No, I didn't," she replied, unable to maintain eye contact with him. He furrowed his eyebrows in disapproval, but before he could respond she held up a hand and cut him off. "I don't want to hear any lectures alright? I have enough to be dealin' with."

"Just try'na look out for you chérie," he sighed, holding up his hands in defeat. Valerie softened slightly and squeezed his arm gently.

"I know Chouchou," she said, "but I'm fine. Right now I have more important things to think about than Dick Winters. Now I hate to leave you but I gotta make sure everyone's where they should be."

Gene patted her hand and shook his head fondly, letting her head off without further complaint. He watched her for a moment, his eyebrows furrowing in concern. She'd always been too stubborn for her own good, always having to get the last word. But nothing was ever certain in war, and he just hoped there was never a time she'd have to regret her stubbornness.

~~~~

"We saw a couple of them heading for Uden," Liebgott explained, taking a puff of his cigarette before continuing, "but there wasn't many and they didn't get far. Winters sent them running with their tails between their asses pretty quick."

"I'm sure he did," she replied, trying and failing to keep the bitter note out of her voice and taking another drag of her own cigarette. Lieb huffed out a laugh beside her and she raised an eyebrow at him.