Chapter 1: The Stone Lion

He rose from the leaves he hid under. Looking around, he saw many trees surrounding the small clearing he was in. his eyes scanned the area, as though he was searching for something. A man walked up behind him and cleared his throat in an attempt to get the attention of the man. He turned around and acknowledged his presence before nodding for him to continue.

“Captain. The black lion has been spotted just outside the borders to the area. Shall we attack?” The man spoke, his voice scratching a bit letting the Captain know he was slightly intimidated by his presence.

“Let him come. We have what he wants.” The Captain spoke, his voice never wavering. He was obviously sure of his choice. He turned around and located a large white cloth under another pile of leaves. The Captain lifted up with all his might and sent a pile of leaves jolting to the ground with the cloth. Hidden from view was a cage containing a small black lion cub.

“Well, hello there, young cub.” The Captain said to the cub in a playful voice. “You know, your daddy is causing us a fair amount of trouble. Worry not, though, we have it under control.” A wide grin spread across the Captain's face. In the distance, there was a loud roar and a shout of three or four different men. Both men knew this sound and it is a grave sound. It is the sound of the Stone Lion's next kill making a futile attempt to escape the inevitable.

“Perhaps not, Captain.” The second man said. “As your Commander, I highly advise you to send men for his capture. We can't afford to loose any more men to this creature.”

The Captain turned his eyes to his Commander. “The elder one is to powerful. Even a whole army, it is futile. I do, however, have a plan.” He turned to look at the cub once more. “Gather the men. We have a choice to make.”

The Commander bowed and rushed away. The Captain continued to stare at the cub squirm around the cage seemingly unaware of the danger it is in.

The black lion watched the humans with distain. He could feel the presence of his cub somewhere. He would find him. He knew that these humans probably have no idea of his cub's whereabouts, but any opportunity to weaken the human's army he would take. The lion stalked his newly found pray, a group of 4. They were laughing and talking about profanity like women. These humans have no honor.

“Did you see his face? He looked like he was about to wet himself!” One laughed.

“You know that the Cap'n scares everyone!” Another man said.

The lion growled. Are these pathetic humans even worth his energy? They are quite obviously drunk out of there minds. The lion turned around and started to walk away.

“Did anyone here about that black lion cub the Captain got?” One asked.

The black lion stopped in his tracks and ran back to where he was hiding behind the bushes

“That puny thing? Yeah, I saw it. Cap'n's hold'n it at base camp, you know, that clearing in the middle of the woods?”

“We should check it out.”

“Naw. I doubt that. Cap'n's hold'n that thin' pretty tight. Heard he's plannin' on trainin' it to serve us. Make it as strong as that black lion runnin' round the woods.”

The black lion could have died in his seat. Training his cub to serve the word of a human? Unacceptable! He would find this Captain and punish him dearly for even the thought.

The lion popped out of the bushes and growled. All the men turned to him and pulled out there weapons. One of them was so drunk, he could barely hold up his shield. The others seemed to be dizzy. These are the fools there Captain trust with information? Pathetic! The lion let out a stunningly loud roar and the men shouted. He pounced, wrapping his jaw around one's neck and crushing it with one chomp. He ran to the second and bit down on his legs, braking both of them in two, before clawing his neck. Next he went after the last of the dizzy ones. He tackled him and clawed his chest. He looked at the last one. He was the drunkest, and also the one who had given him information of his son. The man swung his sword wildly and the lion swatted it away. The man collapsed and was out. The sword jabbed him in the chest. What a pathetic way to die.