Chapter 3: Shadow

Seph shot his head up from the pillow and looked around him. He was no longer in the room with Stone and the beds, but a cage. His body sprung up and he looked out the edge of the cage. He looked around and saw men walking around, all giants compared to him small body trapped in a cage. Some eating, others singing, and a few around him were talking. He looked at them men talking and noticed the King was among them.

He watched the King and saw his eyes full of madness. Seph looked in the forest around the clearing and suddenly came across two yellow eyes, like the yellow of the dark moon above them. He knew those eyes. Those are the eyes of the creature that had taken the lives of many of his men. The eyes of the creature who had fathered Stone. Those are the eyes of Shadow, the black lion.

Seph watched as Shadow examined the scene before him, before allowing his eyes to land on Seph. There was a large laugh coming from the group talking. The King had a grin on his face while the rest of the men in the group seemed pleased.

Seph looked back at Shadow, to which the black lion nodded towards the group. It was as though the lion was telling Seph that he must listen to what they were saying. Seph nodded in return and made his way to the edge of the cage, pushing his ear as close to the men as possible. He closed his eyes and started to make out the conversation.

“We have the cub in out grasp.” One men informed the King.

“That Captain. Seph?” Another man asked. The King nodded. “What are out plans with him?”

The King grinned and stood. “Our plan is simple. He will train the lion. Once the creature's training is done, We will... Dispose of him.”

Seph's eyes widened. Dispose? He had done nothing to betray the King, so why did he want him dead?

“Then we take the full grown black lion and send him after it's father.”

Seph turned his face to look at Shadow. Why did he want to dispose of Shadow? What was the point in all this? The power of the black lion should be used for good, not evil.

“The power of the black lion shouldn't be under control of humans at all.” a deep, wise voice spoke in Seph's mind. Seph looked around for something that could have possible made the voice. He looked at some of the men and then to the talking group. His eyes finally landed on Shadow. The voice chuckled in his mind. “Yes. I can speak to you through your mind, and if I allow it, you can speak to me through your mind.”

Seph concentrated for a moment before thinking a sentence. “Did you show me this?”

“Yes.” The lion's voice shook his mind.

“Why?”

The lion watched Seph in the eyes and and turned to look at the talked men. “This is what they plan to do. Do you want that fate for Stone? For yourself? The King is planning to use my son to kill me, then hunt down the other two creatures of Cerberus.”

Seph looked blankly into the eyes of Shadow. “The Creatures of Cerberus?”

Shadow watched Seph, a sad look forming in his eyes. “I don't know much of it. All I know is this; there are three odd colored lions in the world. All are powerful, with incredibly amazing abilities. When the three unite, with the power of the underworld, it unleashes the great creature, Cerberus.”

Seph nodded his head. “I understood exactly... none of that.”

Shadow chuckled. “If he controls a third of Cerberus, that is one mind fighting with itself for control. If he gains control, your ridiculous King would control a beast so powerful, it could destroy every human on the planet in a matter of moments.”

Seph's eyes widened. “What? Nobody can have that. The King would destroy all his enemies.”

“Exactly. You are the only one my son trusts. I need you to escape from the King. Escape and bring me my son.” Shadow said, his voice stern.

“I will be a traitor! I don't want such fate. I will die!” Seph protested.

“According to your King, you will die either way. The only difference is that my way, you will be under the protection of a great black lion.” Shadow spoke.

Seph looked shocked. “Wait. I stole your son, yet you still offer to protect me? Why?”

Shadow looked deep into his eyes. “You were blind to what you did, as was I. You must bring Stone to me, before this madness excels any more.”

The black lion and the clearing and men around him all started fading out. Everything started to dim and it was as though he was in endless darkness.

“I believe in you. Please, bring my son back to me.” he heard Shadow's voice once more before the entire memory faded out into oblivion.