Chapter 8: Cat Fight

Stone pounced on Shadow, letting his claws out and getting ready to knock him out. Shadow easily dodged and charged him. Stone knew that Shadow wouldn't willingly hurt his son unless he thought it was the only way to help him. Stone twisted out of the way of Shadow's attack and jumped onto his back.

Shadow saw Stone pounce, and knew this wasn't the most difficult he could make the fight. Shadow dodged and saw an opening to charge him. Shadow debated it, and quickly decided to fight him. If he didn't, he had no way of saving Stone from the evil inside him. Shadow charged and Stone jumped out of the way. Suddenly, Shadow felt Stone atop his back. Stone bit down on his back, making Shadow stumble for a second. Shadow quickly found a tree and started to climb, Stone still on his back.

Stone looked around and recognized this tree. This was where he had killed Seph. This tree is where it was all finished. Something spoke in his mind.

“Fight this!” Zeane's voice shouted. “Fight!”

Stone looked around again and saw Shadow jumping off the tree and twisting so his back would hit the ground. Stone unhooked himself from Shadow's back and landed on his paws. He looked at Shadow, who was still in the air. He had twisted himself mid-air and was about to land on Stone. He tried to scramble out of the way, but Shadow was to close. He landed atop Stone and used all his might to pin him to the ground. The way Shadow looked at him was shocking. It was as though every emotion ha had was replaced with pure rage.

“You need to fight this!” Shadow shouted. “Fight it, Stone! Fight!”

Zeane's voice repeated in his head. “Fight it! Fight!”

Stones eyes turned yellow, then flashed back to the red. “No! I am in control!” Stone roared. He used all his strength to push Shadow away from him.

Shadow felt himself loosing his grip on Stone. He wouldn't allow his son to stay some human's pawn and forced himself to keep all his body weight on Stone. Another lion from Shadow's pride bounded out of the woods and stood there, offering his assistance. Although grateful, Shadow knew he needed to do this on his own. He watched Stone lay, struggling against his weight. Shadow looked deep in Stone's eyes and Stone looked deep in his. They stood there for a moment, mesmerized in each other. Stone's eyes turned the golden yellow.

“I'm fighting, father.” Stone said. “I will always fight!” Stone was in excruciating pain, but he fought through it. His eyes unexpectedly turned back into the red color and he jolted his body and launched Shadow into the tree.

Stone looked at Shadow, pity in his eyes. “You honestly think you could stop me?”

Shadow looked at Stone and attempted to stand. Pain shot up his left hind leg and he realized he had broken it. Shadow looked at Stone with pleading eyes. “Stone. Remember all the good times. With me, with Seph.”

Stone walked closer to him and grinned in triumph. “I have nothing to remember. The creature you remember is long gone.” Stone knew this was it. Finally, he would rid the world of this evil. His master would rule!

Stone got close to the ground. He watched Shadow lay helplessly and he pounced.

Suddenly, from behind him, there was a bright light that landed in between them. A figure, who was disguised by the bright light, held out an outstretched palm and Stone seemed to hit a wall and land on the ground. He looked up at the creature to see the man he had seen in his dream. Body of a man, head of a bird. Zeane. Stone looked shocked, while Shadow stood there.

“Zeane.” Shadow mumbled.

Stone glared at Shadow. “You know this fool?” Stone accused.

Zeane looked between them and held his hand above him. A staff materialized in his hand and he wrapped his fingers around it.

“Zeane. Have mercy.” Shadow said, his eyes seemed to be starting to tear up.

Zeane stuck the staff out, the front pointing towards Stone. His body couldn't move a muscle. Whats going on?

Zeane looked him in the eyes, they were soft. It was like he regret doing something. He watched Zeane and saw the staff lighting up. Oh god. What now? The staff lit brighter and brighter and seemed to be radiating heat from it.

Stone looked at Shadow, nervousness filling him. “I'm sorry.” Shadow told him.

Stone looked back towards the staff just in time to see all the power from the staff being blasted at him. He felt unbelievable heat, and then it seemed to suddenly stop. He looked around and saw black surrounding him. Could this be death? Endless nothing?

“I love you.” Was the last thing Stone heard. He cherished hearing his father speak those words one last time.