❆ 2.

I stood there ultimately frozen for what was perceived to be ten minutes, even though it was definitely more like ten seconds

I stood there ultimately frozen for what was perceived to be ten minutes, even though it was definitely more like ten seconds. My feet felt as if they were nailed to the ground, my stomach as if it were twisted in a knot similar to that of a pretzel, along with my brain blasting through every single name I had ever remembered since the age of five. I just couldn't believe that he was here, standing in front of me, ordering whatever it was that he asked for— Yes, I had forgotten that quickly, but there was good reason too.

That dreadful eye contact couldn't last forever, though, so I had to find a way to break out of it. Looking directly into his gaze any longer would have caused me to malfunction like a robot somehow and I didn't want that— no, not on my first day at the job. My eyes finally moved away, yet somehow fell only to his lips— Which weren't much better than the eyes, but useful for me to realize that he was moving them as if he was trying to say something, despite the fact that he couldn't get any words or sounds out.

At that moment, I didn't know whether to break the ice or continue to watch him act oddly. Normally conversation wasn't that hard for me, however with that man? I might as well had been the most socially awkward person that existed in the universe. Carefully I bit down on my bottom lip, meeting his nervous gaze again. Except this time he clearly wasn't going to let us continue staring each other down without ceasing the silence.

"Flem-ensha— mm..." He stuttered out.

I blinked once as I watched him with a stare of confusion, because.. what was that supposed to mean? Was that even English? I set the container of creamer I'd been holding down on the table, before muttering a quiet, "Huh?"

He seemed to snap out of whatever state of mush his mind was in and cleared his throat. "Sorry- Uh.. ahem, just forget the donuts, I'll go... chew on some gum or something, that should hold me off till dinner, right?"

"Right... A-Are you sure?"

"Oh yeah, yeah, definitely. Absolutely. Splendid. Magnificent— You're welcome." He made an awkward step backwards, with his thumbs stuffed in the pockets of his pants, and then quickly took them out to make a little drum sound on the table.

I rose my brows. "...I didn't say thank you."

"Hah, I know."

His face transformed from a nervous smile into more of a nervous look of failure, and with that, he walked away in shame, slumping down on the orange couch that set in the middle of the coffee house. I had no idea how to take that exchange, except ponder over the fact that he chose not to completely leave the building after that embarrassment show. However, my attention went away from the guy who's name I couldn't remember, and instead turned to Rachel and the Ross guy she was in love with.

Suddenly, after getting a good look at him, things started to make some connections. That wasn't just any Ross. No, that was the Ross who went to the same college as me years ago. That was the Ross who was roommates with the guy I had just talked too. The two of them obviously came into the store together when Rachel had noticed Ross approaching earlier, but.. I just wasn't expecting those guys to still be friends after all this time. Not that it was necessarily ludicrous of them to still be hanging out, but I figured most college roomies wouldn't stay best friends for long after leaving or graduating.