PART 1- Linda

I was watching the trial unfold from the back shadows. I felt a chill against my exposed skin. I closed my shawl tighter around my arms; a breeze had picked up in the room. The defense, Linda Turner, was trembling under the harsh stare of the portly lawyer. I smiled and sat back, comfortable in the tense atmosphere.

 "Where were you on March 10th, 2013, the day of Ann Dawson's murder?" he asked in a drilling tone. I knew firsthand that he also used that tone on dates.

"I was picking a bouquet of flowers for my mother's birthday the following day," Linda kept her answer short. I wonder what kind of flowers Linda was picking at 3:46, the time of the murder. I well knew the answer.

"And what kinds of flowers were in this bouquet?" asked the lawyer, grinning. I silently cheered.

"Carnations, they're her favorite, and there's a plot behind my house," answered Linda, obvious confusion passing through her furrowed brow.

But Linda, carnations aren't in season right now.

"Objection, your honor, carnations only bloom in the summer to fall season," the lawyer said confidently, ready with the answer. I was only here for this moment: to see Linda's face turn chalky. I smiled. She was a bad, bad, girl for murdering lovely teenaged Ann Dawson. I was sure she'd be declared guilty at that point. I got up and left before anyone noticed I was there; I was late for an appointment anyway.

A/N: I know this first chapter is very short. I promise that the other ones will be longer. Please comment! I would really like feedback, negative or positive. This is the first short story I have ever written, and any comments would be greatly appreciated. I have written the rest of the story, and I'll update with the rest of the chapters sometime soon if people want to read more.

What are your first impressions of the story? Can you tell where this is going? Do you like the narrator so far? Is it captivating; do you want to read more? Those are the types of questions I'm hoping to receive answers to, but I'll really love to hear any thoughts. I'm new on this whole Wattpad thing, so I'm not sure how this works.