PART 5 - Andrew

I was walking through aisle five of a large corporate grocery store with a basket containing two cans of chicken noodle soup, a quart of strawberry ice cream, and a bag of tortilla chips. Maybe they weren't the kitchen staples I needed, but I was an adult, and I could make my own decisions. Thirty-four had proven to be a weird age so far. The amount of single men in this town near my age was low, or maybe I just didn't know where to look. I ducked into the cereal aisle, remembering that I actually did need cereal. I saw Andrew. Crap. I tried to turn away, but it was too late: he saw me. He started to walk towards me, smiling. Crap. After an awkward hug, he asked what I was doing here.

"Last-minute cancellation," I explained, quickly.

"And you're wearing the same clothes you were wearing to our date an hour ago? You wear jeans to work?" He asked in a lawyer voice, starting to get suspicious.

"No, she called me while I was in my car. I decided to stop here, you know how it is," I tried to change the topic; I was not comfortable with him drilling me, especially since I lied to him about having an appointment, "so, why are you here?"

He lifted up a box of corn flakes, "I'm out of cereal."

"No way, me too!" I was glad the interrogation was over, and I grabbed a box of the nearest cereal, "well, I should get going. Don't want my ice cream to melt. It was nice running into you!" I was lying through my teeth.

"Yeah, you too," Andrew seemed to freeze up, "say, do you always come to this supermarket?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"No reason. Just wondering," he said quickly. He was hiding something, and I was suspicious. There was something off about Andrew that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Something about him made me nervous.

A/N: I'm sorry that this is really short. What are your opinions about Andrew so far? The narrator? Nate? Carla? Who's your favorite character?