PART 4 - Andrew

"I didn't think you'd return my call. I have to say I was quite surprised at your willingness to accept my coffee offer, after how dismissive you were on our last date. May I ask what made you change your mind?" Andrew asked me, handing me a latte.

"I wasn't ignoring you! I'm sorry that I gave you that impression; I've been very busy. As you might have heard, as news tends to travel fast in small towns, one of my patients, Ann Dawson, was tragically murdered last week," I said solemnly. 

She was a sweet girl of 17. Her parents put her in therapy to deal with their divorce. I should go pay them a visit soon: offer my deepest condolences for their loss.

"That's funny that you mention it. I was actually the lawyer on her case. It's weird that I didn't know she went to therapy; was she troubled?" he asked. I noticed a new curiosity sparked within him, accessible to me through the way he leaned in.

"That's so weird; I had no idea you were involved with the case. What a small world! Well I'm not sure if patient confidentiality travels to the afterlife, but between you and me, she wasn't more troubled that anyone in this town," I whispered and then chuckled lightly. I took a sip of my coffee and awaited his reaction, "but really, it was mostly her parents just afraid their divorce would affect her. I actually enjoyed her company very much. Sweet girl, such a shame." I trailed off, picking at my croissant, looking sad.

Andrew put his hand on mine. Exactly what I wanted. I knew how to get people to do what I wanted. If I acted sad, Andrew would comfort me. It was simple. Sure, I might be a bad person for doing this, but I was sad that Ann died, and getting close to someone that wasn't Nate could potentially get me into a stable relationship, exactly what I needed.

"We don't have to talk about this. I know this isn't exactly a common 'second date' topic of conversation," Andrew said sweetly, "I'm sorry for your loss. I didn't know how close you two were."

"Just tell me one last thing. Do you know why they did it? I heard it was Mrs. Turner, but I don't believe that; I mean, I didn't know her too well, but she was so nice to me a few weeks ago in the grocery store," I said, trying not to sound like I was fishing for information. Although I was, so basically, I was trying to lie.

"Yes, she was the murderer. I'm not sure why, though. Personally, I'm very confused about that. The only reason Linda was a suspect was because she had the murder weapon, but it doesn't add up. There wasn't even enough evidence to convict her until I got an anonymous tip to pursue her alibi of picking flowers. I found out that the flowers she claimed to be picking were not in season," he stated. I needed to change the topic; I had gotten the information I was fishing for, and now I knew that he was probably still pursuing the case.

"How clever you are! Attractive and smart? Remind me why we don't do this more often," I giggled a little for added affect, "are you free for dinner sometime? We should go again. I'm having a really great time."

He smiled sincerely. I was having a good time, knowing more about the case, and Andrew was sweet. Call me shallow, but I was not completely on board with his beer gut and receding hairline. I was trying to find someone to distract me from Nate, but I also needed to know if there were holes in the Ann Dawson case. There certainly were, and he was suspicious. We laughed some more, chatting lightly. I played with my hoop earrings; I was going to put in my purple stone-set earrings, but I was strangely missing one. The date wasn't bad, but I wouldn't exactly do it again. I checked my watch purposefully, feigning shock.

"Has it been this long already? I'm sorry, but I have an appointment soon. Can I cut this one short? We can schedule the next date so I don't have work right after.  This was fun!" I kissed him on the cheek and thanked him for a wonderful time. Gross, he was sweaty.

I walked to my car, pulling out my keys and a pack of gum. I was pretty hungry; I wanted real food. Right, I had to get groceries. What did I need again? I couldn't remember.